Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value Stream Mapping - Understand the logic

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help me understand the following questions based on the test model attached. Many thanks in advance!

1. Why is supplier delivering after 6 h earliest?
  2. Why, even though the strategy of production is “single” or “active” , the process produces a “lot”? Can I make my factory produce different batch sizes without changing the customer order frequency/amount of products ordered?
  3. Why all processes need to be connected to PPS? Ideally we'd like to have the information flow only at the first process and the last process
  4. What is the logic / difference between disposition (restock) and cyclic delivery/orders of the product?
  5. What is the difference between packaging size and quantity of ordered products from supplier?  I found that the packaging size delivered needs to match the ordered no.of products by the customer for the simulation to work, otherwise, if the packaging size is smaller, then we are waiting for supplier independant of how much quantity per packaging size he delivers

1 REPLY
Highlighted

Re: Value Stream Mapping - Understand the logic

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Irina,

I would like to give some answers to your questions:

1. At the moment we plan to change this behavior so that the Supplier will deliver the products as soon as the restocking time is up.
  2. The lot size is the lowest number of products produced. If you want to realize a one piece flow production, you can define the lot size as 1. You also can define the lot size and/or the transfer size for each processing object individually. This is not dependent on the customer orders.
  3. It is not necessary to connect all processing objects with the PPS. But the processing object needs to know what to produce. This can be achieved by the PPS, as you have done in your simulation model, or by FIFO/Transfer lines, or by KANBAN control, or by the schedule box.
  4. The disposition is done by the PPS and takes the current stock and the current demand of the first inventory/Supermarket and the first processing object into account. Cyclic delivery delivers the product as you defined.
  5. The supplier always delivers the products in packaging size as for example a sceleton container. the packaging size may be 100 products. In your definition for cyclic delivery you may order 250 products which will lead to 3 sceleton container with a total of 300 products.

You are using a very old version of the VSM library so we recommend to update your model with the latest version 1.0.17 of the library.

Regards GG

Regards
GG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution