Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Viewer license of PlantSimulation is inpracticable

Builder
Builder

Hi!

I wanted to provide a PlantSimulation 12.0 model to colleagues, basing on an installation of the viewer license of the Software. That model contians some object classes being loaded at the begoinning.

PlantSimulation blocks this when loading the object classes stating thta the export of data is not possible with that license.

I absolutely do not understand this, because I just want to import additional parts of the model using the readfile command.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Viewer license of PlantSimulation is inpracticable

Phenom
Phenom

As the name states its a v i e w e r license.

For your  kind of functionality ( e.g. read files ) I think you need at least a runtime license.

Builder
Builder

Then there are two possibilities:

1.) Siemens is finally trying to increase the performance of its product when holding a large amount of data inside of the model or

2.) Simenes ist thinking at least once in lifetime out of the box, if others are working differently by loading and saving reused object classes for further projects (the world doesn't end at the city boundaries of Stuttgart).

I do not see the difference between showing a model where everything is saved inside or showing a model where basic object classes are loaded as needed.

I do not want to save anything or even comparing scenarios. But I know now, that the customers need to keep Siemens own's revenues for its shareholders at a high level.

Phenom
Phenom

Hello.

As stated this is a viewer licance, it is meant to allow people to view the model only. It can be good to give to people to let them view the model and run the model, but all editing must be done by a full version of the program with a full licance.

Yes the limitations of a viewer licance is a bit annoying but without them then everyone would make a pack and go and then work from that.

JamesM

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hello,

my proposal would be to use the PlantSim function licenseName to check if the model is loaded by the special viewer mode (i.e. licenseName="EMPLANT_VIEW"). In this case just skip your mechanisms to load your classes from *.obj files dynamically.

Best regards,

Ralf

Builder
Builder

Hi!

In that case, the model is not running at all due to the fact that basic functionality / data is loaded from the .obj-files.

I don't get the point at all. There is no need or any intention to save anything. I understand that for such purposes a runtime license needs to be purcased. The whole thing is just and only for demonstration purposes.

But I understand that Siemens shareholders need to be caressed every year.