Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable back up feature

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

I am working with plantsim and teamcenter integration.

When I duble click on plantsim model, it will be oppened correctly, but when I want to close it, since plansim creats back up file in the same directory, I faced with an error in teamcenter which the back up file can not be uploaded to the teamcenter.

Is is possible to diosable back up function in plantsim to prevent from creating back up file.

Thank You

5 REPLIES 5

Re: disable back up feature

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The command line argument -NoBakFile prevents Plant Simulation from creating .bak files.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your answer.
This command working when I am running Plantsim shortcut, whith added this command line argument.
The problem is teamcenter runing the plantsim itself, same as when you duble click on the model, and in this situation this command line argument is not working.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You could change the default file association of .spp files. The downside is that it also affects model files that you open via double click in the Explorer.

To change the file association, please open a command prompt and type this command:
    assoc .spp

The output will be something like this:
    .spp=PlantSimulation.spp.##.#
where ‘##.#’ is the version, e.g. ’13.2’.

Now open the Registry Editor and navigate to this folder:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PlantSimulation.spp.##.#\shell\open\command

Edit the ‘Default’ value and add the argument -NoBakFile.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you Michael again.

I changed Shell command in REGEDIT for Plant simulation and now when I am opening a model with double clicking on it, the back up file has been not created after saving and closing the model.

Unfortunately, when I open and close a model from teamcenter, still, the back up file has been created and I got an error.

I added –NoBakFile too all ” C:\Program Files\Siemens\Tecnomatix Plant Simulation 12.2\PlantSimulation12_2.exe” places where I found in the REGEDIT but it did not work.

I could not find the way that teamcenter runs the plantsim, but when I write PlantSimulation12_2.exe in the Run application in windows, the backup file will be created. Maybe it is related to the way that teamcenter run the program.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hello Iman.

It should work the way Michael described it. Please follow those steps:

1. Open a command prompt and type 'assoc .spp'. The output should look like '.spp=PlantSimulation.spp.##.#'. In your case it's probably '.spp=PlantSimulation.spp.12.2'.
2. Open the registry editor (you will need administrator access rights) and navigate to 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PlantSimulation.spp.12.2\shell\open\command'.
3. Double click the key '(Default)' to edit it. It should look like this:
   "C:\Program Files\Siemens\Tecnomatix Plant Simulation 12.2\PlantSimulation12_2.exe" /f "%1"
4. Add '-NoBakFile' in front of '/f' and click OK:
    "C:\Program Files\Siemens\Tecnomatix Plant Simulation 12.2\PlantSimulation12_2.exe" -NoBakFile /f "%1"

That should work.

Alternatively, you could use a different workflow to open a model from Teamcenter. You'll need a 4-tier Teamcenter environment for that, and you need to know the Teamcenter Server URL. If you installed the server on your local machine, you can find the URL in the Teamcenter installation directory; there should be a folder 'install', e.g. at 'C:\Program Files\Siemens\Teamcenter10\install'. In that folder, there should be a file configuration.xml; open it in a text editor and search for 'HTTPServers'. You should find an XML Element 'servers' right below like this:
    <servers value="http://localhost:7001/tc,Tc10.#.# on localhost (4-Tier)," />

So the Server URL is 'http://localhost:7001/tc' in that case.

If you don't have a local installation of the Teamcenter server, you need to ask your IT department for the Teamcenter Server URL.

In this workflow, you don't need to run Teamcenter client; instead, open Plant Simulation directly. Now select File -> Teamcenter -> Open from Teamcenter. Enter your Teamcenter username, password, and the Server URL from above. You'll get a dialog with all models in Teamcenter; select your model (verify that the Item ID, the six-digit number at the beginning, matches the one you used to open in Teamcenter), and click Open.

If you don't want to modify the model, just leave it checked-in. You only need to check it out if you want change it. To save the changes back to Teamcenter at a later time, check-in the model again; that will create a new revision in Teamcenter and upload the new model file. You can find the Check In / Out commands in File -> Teamcenter.

Important note: you need to open the model from Teamcenter only the first time; the next time you run Plant Simulation, just open the model from the Recent Models list. The model will remember that was opened from Teamcenter, so you can still use the Check In / Out commands.

That's actually the recommended workflow, because it creates revisions of the model file in Teamcenter, so you'll have a version history.

I hope that helps you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you like the answer? Then click the Thumbs Up button.
Did the answer solve your problem? Then accept the answer as solution.