Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flowrate of a conveyor

Builder
Builder

i need to model a conveyor transporting 120 tons per houre of material (density 1.552 kg/l)

8 REPLIES 8

Betreff: flowrate of a conveyor

Phenom
Phenom
What is your question? I think sb. has said you to use The library for fluids. What is with that?

Builder
Builder

in reality i have i conveyor transporting cement with a flowrate of 120 tons per houre how can i model that ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Plant Simulation cannot simulate continuous streams of material because it is a discrete event simulation, not a continuous simulation. We can emulate continuous flows with the fluid library, but it will still be event based.

So the way I see it, you have three options:

1. Continue to use the fluid library. You have the density of the material, the throughput per hour and pipe length, so you can easily calculate the outflow rate you require from the FluidSource/mixer/etc.
  2. Portion the cement into separete "chunks" (MUs) that you attribute a weight and volume to. Again you have the material density and throughput per hour as well as the conveyor length, sou you can calculate the speed the conveyor should move at. (or simply enter the time it will take for one MU to move across the conveyor, and PlantSim will automatically adjust the speed.)
  3. Use a continuous simulation software instead.

Edit: Apparently I wrote a word that the site considered a "bad word" and censored it for me. Sorry about that Cat Embarassed

Phenom
Phenom
What is with that topic?
https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Plant-Simulation-Forum/conveyors-vs-pipes/td-p/58732...

Builder
Builder

thank you mr @MarcusA for replying but i'm using the fluid library:

i have three  fluidsources of "clinker" "gypse" and "ajout" (cement ingredients ) i'm using pipes, mterialtable also methods to define folwrates but the problem is in the real system conveyors are used to transport material so the question is could i use pipes instead of conveyors and that will have not any effect for optimizing throughput of the system (i'm a beginner in plant simulation and modeling systems)

Siemens Phenom

There should be no problem in using pipes instead of conveyors. You can change the outflow rate of the pipes to fit your needs. As you have the density and the throughput rate you can calculate the wanted outflow rate.

Builder
Builder

thanks @MarcusA i'm working also on optimizing energy consumption

i can define it for a conveyor but i think not for the pipe am i right ?  

Siemens Phenom

Correct. What you could do is to check the portion of the time the pipe(s) have been working, convert that to a time unit and when the run is finished, use the time portion to calculate the energy consumption with a method.