Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to model multi-part outputs

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have stations on a palletised conveyor with different cycle times. One station can process 2 pallets at a cycle (which takes 5 mins), another station can process 4 at a time in its cycle (which takes 10  minutes).

How can I model this? Am I looking at a user defined attribute, and a method to wait, would this account for this behaviour. Also if I use cycle time, should I leave process time 0? From the help file I see cycle time seems to control gate in.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: how to model multi-part outputs

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi @eclipse

Could you provide more information about your conveyor system? Maybe a sketch containing information about the material flow, i am not sure that i understood your case.

Best Regards,
Paulo Araujo

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

From your description it is not really clear what the model is supposed to do. The behavior of the stations and their interaction with the conveyors should be more clear. Conveyors are serial by definition, ParallelProc can be used for parallel batching behavior.

Gert Nomden
Digital Factory Consultant
cardsplmsolutions.com
Highlighted

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi All,

Thank for your immediate responses.

@pauloaraujo  , I am studying the example from Plant, just trying to see how I can modify a segment to explore different hypothetical cases basically. 

I want to know for instance, how I can make AS1 process 2 pallets at a time, and AS2 4 pallets at a time. As @Nomden said, parallel machine instead of a single may be used, but this won't be synchronised I guess.. My second question is, if say for AS1 I know how long it takes to get the 2 pallets in and out, e.g., cycle time by definition. Would this make difference if I only use Cycle time property of the machine, and leave process time 0, or should I just use Process time?

I hope this is more clear, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Hi @eclipse

It's more clear now, thanks!

About the cycletime, you need to consider the interaction between the processing time and it, you are right about the synchronization of the Parallelproc, take a look at the model attached (frame "cycle_time"), there are some examples to clarify this approach.

Maybe there are other ways to solve your case, but, to avoid any programming, we could use the standard objetcs, the Assembly and the Dismantle, it's easy to implement, just make sure that the Dismantle processing time is 0. See the model attached as well (frame "assembly").

I hope it helps!

Best Regards,
Paulo Araujo

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks @pauloaraujo . I have version 10.0.0.; is it possible for you to save it for this version, I am unable to look at 10.1.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to downgrade a model, but, take a look in the attached EXE.

Best Regards,
Paulo Araujo

Experimenter
Experimenter

Apologies on delay. Thanks again @pauloaraujo 

So here, predecessors  are 2, hence there are two input to assembly, and 'number' column is the number of units to be assembled together... I don't get to see why we drain the pallets though..

I tried to adopt this approach, for each station now I have multiple objects. Though, this would be tricky to use, like if I don't dismantle. The benefit of this though is ability to imitate multiple lanes on converyors... 

Thanks again!

Hi @eclipse 

You are right about the number of objects, maybe we could reduce the extra source and drain, changing the assembly strategy. The dismantle object could represent a extra storage place in case of blocking, of course depends of the situation, but, in most of the time, it must be considered.

Another alternative is to use a buffer with a entrance control that waits for the specific amount of parts to start the "process". The buffer is a storage object, the part statistics could not represent what you need, take this in consideration, the assembly has processing statistics.

As always, there are a lot of ways to model a scenario... Smiley Wink

Good luck! Anything else, post here! 

Best Regards,
Paulo Araujo

Experimenter
Experimenter

Many thanks!