Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make inputs [kg] and [m] to a product

Creator
Creator

hi all,

I am new to plantsim and still learning the basics.

we try to simulate our production.

as we have only two material inputs, I thought it should be quite easy to get it done ... Smiley Wink

input 1: mixture [kg]

input 2: a long (cotton) string [m]

output: blank [pieces]

we need to model different types of mixtures and strings in order to produce different versions of our blanks. I was trying to model the mixture input with a fluidsource, the string with a regular source. put both into an assembly station and have our blank produced. not really working..

any tips?

26 REPLIES 26

Re: make inputs [kg] and [m] to a product

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hello! First of all, assembly tables can only work with Mobile Units (Parts, containers, transports and their derivates). If you want to "assemble" a fluid you therefor need to transform it into a MU. Fortunately ther is already an object, the Portioner, that can do that! I'm attatching a picture of a very basic model using the portioner so you can see how it can be done.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the hint with the portioner. I have attached a simplified model of what I am trying to do:

paint.PNG

I somehow need to produce different blanks.
E.g. I want to produce 5000 pieces of a "Type338" blank, which consist of x kg mixture and y meters string. and produce a "Type200" blank which consists of a different mixture and different string.

I only can enter [pieces] for the string source.

But do you know how long each piece of string is? if you have a set number of different lengths, you could represent those with different MUs. Then you only have to calculate how many pieces of string with length X is needed to create 5000 pieces of Type338 , and put that number into your production table.

Also, you need to set the colours of the materials in the Fluid-table (column 3), or the model won't run. Just double-click the empty fields in column 3 and select from the colour-wheel.

Creator
Creator

yes, e.g.: one piece of a Type338 consists of three raw-materials:

- mixture A: 0,335 kg

- string A: 420 meters

- mixture B: 0,217 kg

type200:

- mixture A: 0,75 kg

- String B: 600 meters

- mixture C: 0,09kg

I then want to simulate the production e.g. of 5000 pieces type338 and 4500 pieces of type200.

I cant find a way where to input these datas for the different types, because plantsim asks for a [kg] or [l] input at my fluidsource table.

For mixtures A and C I would recommend ussing two separate fluid inputs, one for each mixture. Next you can also change how much fluid is required to create one MU in the portioner. However, believe that input is the volume rather than the weight, but that is an easy conversion as you already know the density.

But just to clarify a little: does one piece of Type338 contain 420 meters of string, or is that the total for all 5000 pieces?
The solution becomes a bit different depending on that. (I just found 420 m of string to be very much for one product, is all Smiley Happy )

Edit: added picture

Creator
Creator

one piece of a type338 containts 420meters of string. and we need to assemble 5000 pieces of it Smiley Wink it's a very long string

I have attached my model. I think I am making mistakes in setting up the mixturetables for the fluid sources.

also, it now produces the information i put into the string table? at which point in a model I would insert the information of what a type338 consists of (mixture and string) and how many to produce?

First: the error you get is because you try to create fluids not found in mixturetableB. The material used in the sources must be one of the materials found in the table, in your case Type200 and Type338. Secondly, I'd recommend you to use one portioner per source. The portioner can only receive input from one predecessor, which means that you will need to write some kind of flow-control in order to change the current input. Therefore, use one portioner per source.

Also, create two different MUs (Type200Mix and Type338Mix for example) that are created from the differnt portioners.

Next, I would create 2 different string-items (named 'string420' and 'string600' for example). Then you enter them into the stringtable instead of the regular item.

Then you can use the "Depends on Main MU" option in the assembly table to select which mix to use with wich string you get.

Creator
Creator

I got rid of the first error. thanks

later on, I am going to have around 50 different products I need to assemble from these few different mixtures and strings. how do I know which material name to put in the fluid source, when one product need (up to) two different mixtures?

where do I provide the information on how long of which string is needed for one piece of type338 e.g.?

I cant use the "assembly table" option in the assembly station. but thats where I provide the information on how many "types338" and how many "types200" are to be assembled?

current version is attached. thanks for all your help already!

edit: forgott to attach this question for the mixture-table

There are no way of creating a "recipe" for different product assemblies in Plant Simulation, so you'' have to think ahead (or use a production schedule).If you want to create 5000 units that each requires 420 m of string, then you need to create 5000 units of string as well.

I feel that the way to proceed now is a bit different depending on how many inputs you might have for the assembly. Do you by any chance know how many different lengths of string and how many different mixtures there are?
25 types of strings and 2 types of mixture is a much simpler problem than the opposite.

Also: if you haven't done so already, read up a bit on the fluid library (or any other objects you have questions about) in the help-guides provided in PlantsSim (File -> Help -> contentsor index). I think that might answer at least some of you questions better than I can. Just an helpful reminder! Cat Happy