Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a 2D drawing without a 3D model

Creator
Creator

I'm trying to create custom wiring diagrams using Rulestream with Solid Edge. I created a Solid Edge 2D Drawing Spec, but it appears that the application won't instantiate the draft file. The Solid Edge draft template contains graphics on the 2D Model tab, and there is a Drawing View of the 2D Model on Sheet 1. I can only seem to get Solid Edge running in the application if I put a Solid Edge Model spec at the top level. Any ideas on how to use Rulestream to manipulate 2D drawings without models? My plan was to use Block placements, but I can't even get Rulestream to create the draft file instance. I'm currently using 8.15.1.

Capture.PNG

9 REPLIES

Re: How to make a 2D drawing without a 3D model

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Allow me to make sure we're both looking at this the same way:

• The "Solid Edge - 2D Drawing" spec is intended for users that have the less expensive "2D Only" Solid Edge license
  • SE Spec.png
  • Using this spec while running a 3D license may work, however is not the intended usage.  You cannot mix the use of this spec with the standard "Solid Edge" spec in the same application.
  • When using this spec your process step must use the "Solid Edge 2D Drawing Viewer", not "Solid Edge Drawing" nor "Solid Edge Viewer"
  • SE Viewer.png
  • Similar to working with 3D models, the Top Level Part Family must contain a 2D Drawing spec (Empty or with geomtry/data)
  • 2D Drawing specs may be created at any level in the tree but one must always be at the top even if you don't use it

If you continue to find that this is not working properly please open a ticket so that we may address this.

Creator
Creator

Been there, done that.

1. As you can see from my diagram, the only Solid Edge spec at the TOP LEVEL is indeed a Solid Edge - 2D Drawing.

2. In the Process Step, the process is indeed using Solid Edge 2D Drawing Viewer.

3. Our users only have the full Solid Edge licenses, so mixing in less expensive 2D only licenses is not an option.

4. I'm not mixing 2D and 3D functions in the same application, I'm simply creating wiring diagrams.

However, I did figure out what the issue was and I got it working. Take the case of a very simple 2-step process as shown:

Capture1.PNG

From the Input form associated with the first step (see below), with the appropriate required info entered in the fields, the "Create Drawing" action button on the bottom left becomes enabled.

Capture.PNG

If the action behind that button is NavigateTo (and yes, I do have it pointing to the correct process step name), the process steps to Print Diagram, but nothing happens (the Print Diagram step highlights, showing that the program did indeed move to that step).  However, if the action behind the Create Drawing button is NextStep, then things work OK for this case. If however, there are additional process steps in between those in the example (like in Design & Analyze categories) and I wish to simply "NavigateTo" the Print Diagram step, things don't work. Bottom line is there appears to be an issue with NavigateTo.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Please submit this to GTAC so that we can adress this and keep you informed as to the progress.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello JoeMo,

I'm also facing same issue . I would like to know if you got solution on this.

Creator
Creator

As I noted in a previous reply in this thread, my issue appears to be with the "NavigateTo" function in my 2-step process.

I originally had the 2-step process start with a "Get Input" step - where I would collect data about what to place on the 2D drawing. The button "Create Drawing" on the input form used the "NavigateTo" function to get to the next step. This didn't work even though you could see that the process actually went to that step (but evidently didn't execute all the functions, i.e. create the drawing). I replaced the "NavigateTo" function with "NextStep" and the process worked OK. I don't know if the issue with NavigateTo is fixed, or if the issue you're having is related.

My issue with NavigateTo goes further. If I now have a process with several steps, and I'd like it to step through all of them in "one click", I'd expect NavigateTo to actually do that. Instead in appears to "jump" to that step, rather than "step' to that target step.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I had this same issue with SolidWorks.  I have an application that only has a 2D Drawing. I had to have an empty 3D SolidWorks part in my application to get the application to work correctly.

Creator
Creator

The 2D Drawing for Solid Edge works properly. I'm using the functionality to place "blocks" in a 2D SolidEdge Draft file as a way to create wiring diagrams. This functionality for SolidEdge was introduced in RS Architect version 8.14.

As you may have noticed in this thread, I had an issue with the NavigateTo button, and had to use NextStep instead. I haven't gone back to see if the NavigateTo function works properly now that I'm using 8.15.2.

Genius
Genius

Bob_Mattern

Do NOT use 3D CADs for 2d-design.
It is a lot of pain, a lot of time wasing.
I mean if a project assumes that no 3D required - use the CAD which is very good in 2D (AutoCAD or similar), it will be much better.
-
You can use DWG-based drawings in Rulestream.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The application that was developed used a 2D SolidWorks drawing that had static graphics and dimension values linked to custom properties.  The custom properties were driven by the Rulestream application to product contract specific drawings.  In other words, we had a parametric "Not To Scale" drawing being completed 100% by the Rulestream application.