Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Word Spec via Thin Client

Does anyone have any experience using the word spec via the Thin Client?  

If so does word need to be installed on the server? 

To generate the word document would I call g_RsEngineer.CreateOutput(PF.ObjId, Spec.SpecID, "", False)?

As described in this thread:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Rulestream-Forum/Releasing-a-word-report-in-RS-Engin...

4 REPLIES

Re: Word Spec via Thin Client

It is not required to have Word installed on the server. The document will still be created correctly without it.

For Thin Client, we suggest using the Output tab on the Word Spec to create a PDF and then use the PDF Viewer Process Step to view it on a client machine.  Visiting the PDF Viewer Process Step will trigger the creation of the Word spec on the server.

What needs to be done so my client is able to display the pdf?  I tried writing the pdf to the "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ModelServicesWS\resource\file\output" but that did not work.PDf Viewer.png

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author EI-JustinRice
‎06-12-2017 02:52 PM

You just need to create the word spec in RS Architect and add a PDF output under the Output tab:

tc_word1.JPG

Then, create a PDF Viewer Process Step and point to this output:

tc_word2.JPG

At runtime, the word document and PDF will be created when you go to the PDF Viewer Process Step. They will be in the WIP folder in your working directory. If you save the line item, they will be saved to the .0000 folder in your working directory.

You will not need to use CreateOutput in this scenario but you will need to use custom.vb to move the files to the Release folder if required.

That works but it's worth noting that the file name cannot have a space in it.