cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAMWorks for Solid Edge. Embedded CAM is here!

Genius
Genius

The CAMWorks booth

When I took over working with the “Solid Edge Ecosystem”, I talked to many customers asking about what technologies they most wanted to see in integrated with Solid Edge.  The biggest request by far was for an embedded CAM solution.  For this reason, I’m extremely happy about the new CAMWorks for Solid Edge product from Geometric (See the press release here!)

This was not a trivial need nor was it trivial to implement. From the Siemens PLM Side, many people had to step up in support of our Technology Ecosystem. Geometric had a prototype fairly quickly (smart developers, I think) but this is always just the start of created a quality, robust product. The end result looks great!

I snuck in with some of the beta testers in Huntsville a few weeks ago going though some training. I’m no CAM expert but the combination of synchronous technology with Geometric’s feature recognition and tool-path regeneration was extremely impressive.  I spoke with a couple of the beta testers at SEU13 yesterday after they have had a chance to cut some real parts and they are very complementary.

This is something you definitely want to see for yourself. If you are still at SEU, do that here.  Otherwise, here is a youtube video to get you started:

There is much more info to come so be sure to visit the CAMWorks for Solid Edge page to learn what is new.

Comments
Creator
Does CAMWorks For Solid Edge ST create its own Assembly file or does it ride on top of a Solid Edge ST Assembly file?

Jon Banquer
CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn
Genius
For what was shown at Solid Edge University, it is only in the part environment.

Assemblies are coming online later this year but I don't want to get too much into the details since it is Geometric that is doing the development. You may want to ping them or I'll try to get you an answer once the details are public.

Mark
Creator
Thank you for the direct and honest answers. This is why you have such credibility when it comes to social networking and it's why I have such respect for you.

Jon Banquer
Siemens Valued Contributor
Hi Jon,

Can you help me understand the difference that you mention above? Do you desire a clone of the top-level assembly file (so CAM data stays separate from CAD data)? Or do you want the CAM to make a complete copy of the entire assembly? Or is it something else entirely?
Creator
Hello Anonymous Poster.

Thanks for the great questions! I'll do my best to answer them.

I think the best way to understand what I'm talking about is to compare a very powerful and robust fully integrated CADCAM product like Siemens NX to a CAM add-in that runs inside of SolidWorks.

True fully integrated CADCAM like Siemens NX creates a unique Assembly file for CAM that has all the power and acts just like an NX CAD Assembly.

On the other hand, CAM that runs inside of SolidWorks has many parts that aren't like using SolidWorks at all and are unique to each CAM system that runs inside of SolidWorks. How you set up work coordinate systems, how you copy and paste machining operations, how you define and manage stock, etc. The sad fact is that every CAM system that runs inside of SolidWorks has created their own unique (and often bizarre) ways to manage these tasks. Most CAM vendors who run inside of SolidWorks do their level best to hide the exact details of how these parts of their CAM program work because it contradicts their claim that running their CAM inside of SolidWorks is just like the SolidWorks experience. This is especially true when you are dealing with an Assembly approaches to machining multiple different parts.

Jon Banquer