Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Rocking with Solid Edge Simulation at PLM Connection

by Genius on ‎06-30-2010 11:11 AM

Dora Smith got a few of the blogging team T-shirts with our name. The front says “Rock Star By Night, Blogger by Day”. I should have worn it today when I stepped on to the raised platform to present Solid Edge Simulation.  I wish I had thought to bring a white glove.

OK, I’m exaggerating (except for the part where I almost fell off the stage like Steven Tyler).  Power Point presentations on FEA are not high on the excitement meter although I do think colorful stress plots are way more interesting than PDM charts. Still, turn out was good and we had real users this year since last years presentation was before SE Simulation was released.

ScreenHunter_02 Jun. 29 13.54ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 29 13.49

Why FEA is better than PDM

About ½ the room had not yet updated to Solid Edge ST2 which is the first version Solid Edge Simulation is available. So, I started with some slides not too different from last years presentation (see it here)

Toward the end, I was able to talk a little bit about what we were doing for ST3. We did a number of customer visits around the world collecting requirements and have had many discussions and emails exchanges with VARs and customers (thanks for your time – I know you have real work to do).  The ST3 Simulation release is extremely customer driven and we were able to address 50% of all customer enhancement requests.

While I’m not able to talk about everything, there are some pieces of the Solid Edge Simulation ST3 I can talk about that I presented today.  If there is something you are interested in, leave me a comment below and I’ll try to cover it. Also keep an eye on other bloggers as I saw a couple in the room.

Comments
by
on ‎07-09-2010 04:12 AM
Hello Mark. i have a few questions for ST simulation in ST3 (API of FEMAP).

1- The API comes in x86 or x64? (i mean x86 SE on x64 OS)

2-how many procesors can use the API? any new computer have 2 cores or more. how many cores can use the API?

3-Is GPU (CUDA for nvidia or STREAMING for ATI) computing available?

4- (in the deformation body context) is posible to use the deformed mesh to create a solid body to compare it in the asamblie context? i mean with this to use for tolerances to evaluate not only perform of the part.

5- is posible to apply the loads in sequence? or even add funtions to the loads (time, range, pulse, step)

6- what about bolt conextions on FEA inside SE?

7- is posible to have not only adjustable parts and finally have "FLEXIBLE PARTS". i mean springs, flexible metal sheets and make a real motion simulation of a machine.

8- what about transportations bands or chains?

9- when we will have a more realistic motion simulation? if you have spring, flexible parts, steel cables you are very short with that.

10- and what about to use FEA in SE to evaluate asamblie secuences?

well to much for now, steven tyler some times is in the blod talking about SE. i´m not direct customer of SE (academic user) to post all this on Gtac web page so, to see here the oportunity to ask what i would like to see on next releases of SE is important for me.

thankyou for your time

see you mark.
by
on ‎07-09-2010 12:35 PM
hello mark, here is more.

1- once i try Dynamic Designer Motion profesional for solidedge (free for academic copies of MSC software now is from design simulation technologies) and is wonderfull. why not to have that level of simulation of motion as standart in solidedge? because i remember that you can export the data of "rigid body dymanics" to external FEA aplication. if the SE team could integrate Femap as an API why not to extract the ADAMS engine from NX?

2- why not to mix the motion-simulation-render-animate in a single enviroment? or one enviromet of motion-simulation and other render-animate and you can use the data of one enviroment in the other one?

3- can SE use FEA external data? or export FEA data?

4- can SE silmulate a part that have thermal and surface treatmant?

5- what about the parts that have some blend operation? for example a sheet metal: around the blend the behavior is part elastic and part plastic, but the rest where is no blend is elastic. how SE Simulation manage that? here i remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJBIbBcc-HA and this take me to another thing: imagen that i have a door lock, internally have a torsion spring. i can not simulate that to establish the torque of the key with accuracy and don´t think about to use render-animate the part is "rigid" not "flexible" for the enviroment.

thats all that i have for now. thankyou
by Genius
on ‎07-09-2010 01:51 PM
Hi Josue.

Wow! Lots of questions!

Keep in mind that the first release of Solid Edge Simulation is ST2. While I'd would have loved Siemens to assign 100 developers to work on it, the reality was we couldn't do it all in one release.

So we really focused on two things to get started.

1.) We wanted to get the UI and framework right so that design engineers can use it and we can grow. We didn't want to be an analyst tool (we have Femap for that).

2.) we wanted to hit the things Femap Express users were most requesting - assemblies, more control of the mesh, more loads and constraints, etc.

So the other things you mention - Motion, reusing motion information in FEA, thermal are all things I've heard from other customers too and things I'm itching to tackle :-)

The best thing you can do is go to GTAC and file an IR (or get your VAR to do it if you can't). What we do in ST3 and future releases is really dictated by where we can help the most customers.