cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Edge Users, Read me!!!!

Genius
Genius

Solid Edge Productivity Summit Tour

In the case you have not noticed, The Siemens PLM folks are reaching out to customers trying to support more community and more productivity around Solid Edge. It may look like just words but I can say from the inside that We. Are. Taking. This. Seriously. (heck, even Matt Lombard noticed)

Firstly, we’ve set up 17 enablement sessions across the US aimed at helping you increase productivity, learn about features you might not use today, network with other designers and engineers,  and maybe even meet with new customers.  This is all free but you need to preregister.

Secondly, the Solid Edge team has created a survey for current users and needs your input to help drive the future of the product.  The URL has gone out  in emails, the GTAC forums, and a number of CAD places where Solid Edge folks might be found (Jason Newell posted it to his wiki, Jon Sutcliffe has a story on his page and Susan Cindr linked to it on the Solid Edge Facebook page. Thanks for helping to get the message out!).

Jeff Walker set this up so I got him to answer a few questions about the survey.

Mark: We have not done many survey’s in the past.  What made you do one now?

Jeff:   Siemens PLM Software conducts a variety of surveys, but none that allow us to focus on the specific functionality available in Solid Edge. The survey currently being conducted allows us to better target functional areas of the product that are most important to our customers. Customers have also been requesting other means for providing product input in addition to formally logging Enhancement Requests. Web surveys are an efficient way to do that.

Mark: Are you planning to do more survey’s in the future?

Jeff:  Yes. We plan on conducting more surveys such as this in the future.

Mark:  I know you want to get good turnout for this survey.  Why is it important Solid Edge users reply?

Jeff:  The survey results will play an important role in helping us plan future releases of Solid Edge. Participation in the survey is one way that users can ensure that their input is considered. Significant participation will also encourage us to do more surveys in the future.

Jeff also noted that while this  survey will play a key role in planning for the future,  it is not a substitute for logging good quality Enhancement Requests. ER’s are crucial in our planning process and the coming  ST3 version will satisfy over 2000 customer requests that are a direct result of user initiated ER’s.

So, if you have not replied to the survey, just click this link now.

P.S. And tell a friend.

Comments
Creator
It's impossible for me to take any of this seriously because in order for Solid Edge ST and NX CAM Express to be taken seriously here they would both have to taught at local community collages in the San Diego, California area and at places like the NTMA centers in California. Neither product is taught here.

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA
Genius
Hi Jon,

Do you know why its not taught there? I know we have a pretty extensive university program.

In fact, I saw we train 1,000,000 students a year http://www.pddnet.com/article-more-than-one-million-students/

I don't know the breakdown by product but I know the GO Plm folks are always interested in adding schools.

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/about_us/goplm/index.shtml

Mark
Creator
"Do you know why its not taught there?"

Mark, it's because your competitors have educational support that Siemens doesn't offer.

Specifically they give their software and training materials away and provide all sorts of free training and support for teachers.

On the CAM end CNC Software has always realized that having a large pool of trained Mastercam programmers means that companies will purchase Mastercam because they don't have to spend any money on training.

What I wrote above is the major reason a program like Mastercam has a major lock on the market. In my opinion Mastercam isn't any where near as good as NX CAM is... but it doesn't matter because CNC Software is giving the maket what it wants with a large pool of already trained CAM programmers that companies can hire and not have to pay to train. Siemens isn't doing this and I see nothing that shows me Siemens now gets it. In fact I see just another very limited effort from Siemens.

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA
Community Admin
LOCATIONS LOCATIONS LOCATIONS!

If you were wondering "where" the Summits would be held, specifically in a city close to you, we now have locations.

July 27th Orlando, FL
Embassy Suites, Orlando Airport
5835 T.G. Lee Blvd., Orlando, FL 32822

July 28th Kansas City, MO
KU Edwards Campus (Univ. of Kansas)
12600 Quivira Road, Overland Park KS 66213

July 29th Clearwater, FL
Hilton St. Petersburg Carillon Park
950 Lake Carillon Dr., St. Petersburg, FL 33716

Aug 10th Atlanta, GA
Hilton Suites Atlanta Perimeter
6120 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd., Atlanta, GA 30328

Aug 11th Houston, TX
Embassy Suites, Houston Energy Corridor
11730 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX 77079

Aug 12th Dallas, TX
Embassy Suites, DFW Airport North Outdoor World
2401 Bass Pro Drive, Grapevine, TX 76051

Aug 12th Cleveland, OH
Embassy Suites, Cleveland Rockside
5800 Rockside Woods Blvd., Independence, OH 44131

Aug 17th Montreal, Quebec
Hotel Mortagne
1228 rue Nobel, Boucherville, Quebec, CA J4B 5H1

Aug 18th Toronto, Ontario
Woodbine Race Track
555 Rexdale Blvd., Toronto, Ontario, CA M9W 5L2

Aug 18th Huntsville, AL
Siemens Huntsville Office
675 Discovery Dr. Suite 100, Huntsville, AL 35806

Aug 24th Indianapolis, IN
Indianapolis Marriott North
3645 River Crossing Pkwy., Indianapolis, IN 46240

Aug 25th Cincinnati, OH
Cincinnati Marriott North
6189 Muhlhauser Road, West Chester, OH 45069

Aug 26th Boston, MA
DoubleTree Hotel Boston/Westborough
5400 Computer Dr., Westborough, MA 01581

Aug 31st Philadelphia, PA
Crowne Plaza Phila -Valley Forge
260 Mall Boulevard, King of Prussia, PA 19406

Sept. 8th Phoenix, AZ
Hilton Phoenix Airport
2435 S. 47th St., Phoenix, AZ 85034-1600

Sept. 9th Cypress, CA
Siemens Cypress Office
10824 Hope Street, Cypress, CA 90630

Sept. 10th Seattle, WA
Embassy Suites Seattle - Bellevue
3225 158th Avenue SE, Bellevue, WA 98008

As a reminder, PLEASE register so we know how many people are coming and can plan lunch accordingly. Smiley Very Happy

http://am.siemensplmevents.com/?elqPURLPage=3363

Thanks,
Susan Cinadr
Creator
"If you were wondering “where” the Summits would be held, specifically in a city close to you, we now have locations."

What I'm wondering is why San Diego, California isn't on the list.

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA
Genius
I'm told they tried to pick locations to cover the most number of customers. Looking through the list, we also have offices in Cypress, CA. which likely made more logistical sense.

-Mark