Simulation-driven ship design: how to have your cake and eat it

Siemens Theorist Siemens Theorist
Siemens Theorist

My daughter has recently discovered a love of baking. Every weekend she chooses a new recipe from her cookbook, buys the ingredients then sets out to make her latest creation. As a parent I’m encouraging this new interest – not only is she engaged and learning, but the results are pretty tasty too.

mixer.jpgThe electric mixer - one way to increase baking efficiencyAs the child of an engineer, my daughter is also very keen on efficiency. She soon realized that mixing cake dough or whisking egg whites by hand is hard work and takes a long time. So, for Christmas we bought her an electric mixer. Now she can whip up a cake in less time and try out new recipes faster – which means more, tasty cakes for the rest of the family. Making the baking process easier has helped her to try new techniques and create more impressive cakes.

Moving from working by hand to using a mixer was a simple change, but made a huge difference in my daughter’s capability. Which got me thinking – can we make changes in our design practices and see similar leaps in capability?

The marine industry has already made many such changes. We design using 3D CAD, rather than line drawings, andConnected designandsim.jpgHow can we connect CAD and simulation to improve vessel design? use 3D CFD and stress analysis tools rather than relying solely on experiments. But can we do more? This is the topic of our latest marine webinar, looking at Simulation-driven ship design. What if instead of treating the CAD design and the 3D simulation results as two separate items, we look at them as a whole, with automatic feedback between them? Modern design exploration tools are enabling us to do just that, by driving the design-analysis process in new, more efficient ways, uncovering new designs which meet specified efficiency requirements.

Of course, “the proof of the pudding (or cake) is in the eating”, and the webinar also gives a demonstration of the complete simulation-driven process, based on an OSV developed by Digitread, showing how a vessel can be optimized for both CAPEX (capital expenditure) and OPEX (operational expenditure). Proof that this change in working practice can improve our capability to create optimal vessel designs.

Simulation driven ship design banner.jpgJoin us on 7 February to learn more

I’m not sure what the next step in my daughter’s baking adventures will be, but I’m looking forward to seeing (and tasting) the results. Join us on February 7th to see (but not taste) the future for marine design!

Comments
Siemens Visionary

Once the throughput of both your daughter and the marine industry is even higher, will your daugther ship those cakes?