ADVICE ON BUYING NEXT PC

Genius
Genius

I’m planning on replacing my computer within the next 2-3 months mainly because its 5 yrs old with something in the same relative price range. Solid Edge 2D is my largest and most demanding software. I don’t play video games.

I’m hoping for some guidance from the SE tech group to help me pick my next computer so maybe it will be suitable for SE for the next 5 years or so.

My current computer is a desktop HP HPE-400y (64-bit) with:

• 8GB of RAM,
  • 920GB of storage of which only about 15% is used
  • AMD Phenom™ II x 4 945 Processor @3.00GHz,
  • ATI Radeon HD 5450 video adapter (Max 1920 x 1080), and
  • Purchased price about $800 with Windows 7.

I know that the recommendations for ST8 are:

• 64-bit (x64) processor
  • operating systems
  • At least 8 GB RAM
  • True Color (32-bit) or 16 million colors (24-bit)
  • Screen Resolution: 1280 x 1024 (or higher, following the manufacturer's recommendations)

It’s apparent that whatever storage comes standard with today’s desktops will probably be adequate. Current HP models have in excess of 1TB. Where I could use some help is in choosing the amount of RAM, a good video card and adequate processor and/or whatever else would be a wise investment.

Thanks,

Ron

4 REPLIES

Re: ADVICE ON BUYING NEXT PC

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ron,

Although you only want to run 2D product, the installation file is identical, and also share some of the same system demands, as the full product.

I would recommend looking at a system, not too unlike your current one [CPU & RAM are good], BUT, easier performance gain can be had by selecting a system with a Solid State Drive [SSD], and I'd lean towards nVidia family "dedicated" graphics. [only say this, as ATI "drivers" have shown to be the cause of most of the display errors, when using Solid Edge]

I also posted about this recently, here. [Surface Pro3 would also be a good option]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Genius
Genius

Sean, thanks. I would not have know about the SSD and nVidia.  But about the RAM? My current PC has just enough to run with ST8.  As SE evolves over the next several years, wouldn't the RAM needed also increase?  If so, than the PC I buy today should have more than 8GB?

Ron

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ron,

Yes, that would normally be true, if your were anticipating also using the 3D side of the product, and doing finite elelemnt analysis [FEA] at some point.....but for the anticipated 2D only use, it should be plenty for a similar lifetime, to the next system upgrade. Not to say, that you should eliminate such, just saying overall, the system should me ballanced, build cost vs. usable performance. For computation, and in Solid Edge particularly, the CPU core clock speed is your single most important factor.

I've been using my Surface Pro3 for my only device for nearly a year now, it only has 8GB ram, and I have yet to see that become an issue, even while doing Keyshot renders.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Genius
Genius

Sean, OK. Thanks for your help.  This issue is solved.

Ron