Adding leaders to annotations

N/A
Hi guys
if I create a balloon annotation and place it on the model, then at a later stage add a leader, the length of the leader is huge, and I have to zoom way out to find the annotation and shorten the leader.
I am using ST5 free 2D, and the problem is very repeatable.
If I create the annotation with the leader enabled then there is no such problem.
I have looked through all the styles and options on the balloon properties and I can't see anything relating to leader length or anything unusual.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Pete
4 REPLIES

Re: Adding leaders to annotations

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Pete,
I need to better understand your problem.
When you say add a leader, are you actually placing a leader, or enabling the leader display on the existing balloon?
I will assume you are just enabling the leader display.
The default leader length in the case where the balloon is placed and then the leader is turned on is a function of the text height of the balloon.
I suppose you are zoomed way in on the balloon when you enable the leader display.
If you are changing the text size, use the text height property, not the text scale. That may be the problem.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Hi Rick
Here are some steps which display the problem.
1. open a new document using the default iso draft.dft template
2. view model space
3. click balloon annotation and type any word in the prefix or upper fields of the general properties tab. Leave everything else as default. Make sure on the command ribbon the select leader option is off.
4. click somewhere in model space to place the annotation. Then straight away choose the select tool and select the annotation.
6. toggle the select leader button on the command bar and see what happens.
For me the very first instance of turning on the leader puts the terminator where the annotation was and the annotation gets moved a long way away. toggling the select leader again and i get a leader which is a sensible length attached to the annotation in its new position. This is 100% repeatable for me.
Cheers
pete

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Pete,
I went back to ST5 and verified that this was a bug. It has been corrected in ST6, which will be released soon.

Rick B.

N/A
Hi Rick
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Pete