Align Text (Boxes)

I am trying to align Text Boxes. I selected Line Up Text in the Dimension group on the Home Tab, but when I’m prompted to click on element to align to I try to select the text box (base element) that I am trying to align the other text boxes to, nothing happens - I can't select anything. I am just trying to vertical Center align a column of text boxes in a table, what is the Align Offset?

Thanks,

Susan Stewart
7 REPLIES

Re: Align Text (Boxes)

Susan,
Line Up Text is used with dimensions and annotations (callout, balloon,
etc.).
These type of objects are typically used for annotating geometry where you
align the text of these objects for appearance.
It does not work with text boxes. These are typically used for notes.
If you want to create a table of text, try creating a table object.
The table will do all of the text justification for you.
Regards,
Rick B.

Is there a recommended method to line up text boxes? For example, to create artwork for silkscreening metal panel.

There is no really easy way to do this, but if you right mouse click on a text box and select Properties, on the Info tab are the X and Y coordinates of the origin. You can enter exact values in this dialog and it will move the text to that location. This is all based on the lower left corner of the drawing sheet. If your text is Center/Center justified, you can arrange the text appropriately using this dialog from each box.

Andrew, thanks for your reply. Your suggestion would line up the left edge of each text box, which would be fine when I want all my text to be left aligned. But for center-aligned text or right-aligned text, it would not work. You said this would work for center-center alignment, but I don't see how. Am I missing something?

It's possible to work around the issue by using the callout function with no leaders or arrows.  Then you can align w/ multiple options.

I'm 6 years late to this conversation, but did get the text align function to align text boxes too.

Nope. Still doesn't have this function.