Align center two paralell lines

Hello,

I am sorry if this question is too simple but I have googled like crazy, read pdfs etc but I cannot figure it out.
If I have to paralell lines and want them to align by center point.

How do I do that?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thx,
Peter
8 REPLIES

Re: Align center two paralell lines

Peter,
I've been using SE for a few years now but am far from an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Grab one line by the mid point and move it so it aligns with the mid point of the other line than move it the required distance apart. Then you can dimension that distance accurately with the Smart Dimension tool.
Another way would be to draw a line from the mid point of one of the lines at a right angle that is the distance you want between the two parallel lines. Then grab the second line by the mid point and place it on the end of the line you just drew. That will distance the line and align it with the mid point of the parallel line. Then delete the line running between them.
I know there has to be a better way so I'm sure you'll get a better answer. SE doesn't have very many snap modes once you've placed an element.

Not exactly clear what you are asking. Are the parallel lines horizontal or vertical or at an angle? I am going to assume they are horizontal or vertical and you want to line up the midpoints in the other direction.

To do this, make sure you have "relationships" turned on. then apply a H/V relationship.

If you don't know what these commands are, use "Command Finder" at the bottom of the screen and search for Relationships.

[ Edited ]
Thanks for you answers but I still cannot figure it out. I have been trying every relationship assistant with different settings, symmetric command etc
Search relationships in the command finder etc but still lost.

I have ie two horizontal parallel lines. One is shorter and one longer. The mid/centerpoint of the two lines are not above each other.
I want a command that will align the lines after the mid point so the midpoint are exactly on the same Y axis line so to speak.

This is very useful for me. Offcourse I can do this manual in other ways but there must be a simple way :smileysurprised:)

I want the mid points of the lines in the jpg to line upp on the y-axis.

Big thanks !

/Peter

here is a quick vid. should be clear

http://screencast.com/t/65vgYU4aktk

Oh my good . That was too simple. Sorry that I didnt figure it out myself. I have tried every way I could google etc.

The thing is if you but the lines(midpoints) too far away the same function put the line on top of each other on the x-axis.
That is probably what have happened to me and therefore I moved on.

Thank you all soo much.

/Peter

That's right. It is both a horizontal and a vertical constraint -- it will go to whichever it is close to. Try it with just a line. Draw a line at 44 degrees -- use the HV constraint command on it -- it will make the line horizontal. Now draw one at 46 degrees and use it. It will make it vertical. This is because the geometry is usually "close" to what you want, so we go to the closest answer.

I want to add to what Dan has shown. This works well when you want the relationship between the midpoints to align horizontally or vertically. There may be times when the lines are truly parallel (have a parallel relationship), but are at an angle. You can still accomplish this by placing a line between the midpoints of the parallel lines. Then place a perpendicular constraint between one of the parallel lines and the line between. This line will become a perpendicular bisector. Think of this line as being a construction line. You can move the line to another layer and turn off the display of that layer. The relationships to this line still are good even though you do not see the line.

Regards,
Rick B.

here is a quick vid. should be clear

http://screencast.com/t/65vgYU4aktk

Well I'll be darned, I learned something new about Solid Edge 2D that I did not know.

Thanks!