Associating a block with a dimension or view

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am using SE6 and have a block (symbol) that is being used to call out critical dimensions and want to see if there is a way to attach / associate with the dimension or view so that if I move the view the block (symbol) will move with the view without having to window select the entire view.  I have used "Draw in View" before and copy and pasted the block (symbol) there to have it attached to the view, but that is not a very productive way of doing it since there is no reference of the dimension I am trying to associate the block (symbol) too and trying to place the block (symbol) in the correct postion can be a bit time consuming, especially if I have several of them in one view. Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES

Re: Associating a block with a dimension or view

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is no way to do this with the Dimension but you can use the Group command to group the symbol and the drawing view however this makes selecting the drawing view for changing it's properties a bit tougher as you will default to selecting the Group by default.

We used to do this as well but decided to go with a formatted string between special characters used in callouts or dimension prefix/suffix.  Not sure what symbol you are using, but if you start the Character Map tool (Windows app but can start from SE, use command finder) and look at a font like Arial it will have a ton of graphical characters like filled triangles, boxes, rectangles, etc... that you can copy to the clipboard and paste into an SE field like the Dimension Suffix field and show with your dimensions.

2017-06-22_10-20-03.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for the help, unfortunatly using the character map would not be an otion as we are using a custom designed symbol built in SE, basically a diamond with a K in the middle. That has then been blocked together. But the group command might be an option, though people would need to remember to ungroup when needing to edit the view properties. If I could figue out how to add new symbols to the SE libarary thatmight be another option for us.  Thank you again.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is no need to ungroup a Group to edit the individual objects in the group.

The Select tool has a Top Down or Bottom Up select option on the command bar with Top Down being the default.  Switching it to Bottom Up will allow selection of the individual objects in the group for edit.

The other option is to hover over it and use QuickPick which will show the individual objects in the group as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1