Block scale

N/A
I've created my items in the 2D model view and now I've placed views of them on my working sheets. I've also placed some blocks that I created on my working sheet (some square can lights--it's a plan drawing). My working sheet has a 1:12 scale. Everything is in inches. When I dimension my view in my working sheet, I get the correct number of inches (notice teh 71" dimension). When I dimension my blocks (the square can lights), the dimension is 1/12 of what it should be. Both my views and my blocks have a 1:12 scale set. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES

Re: Block scale

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Sheet Scale is not intended to draw geometry at any scale or to change the value of dimensions that may be on the sheet. Sheet scale works along with Drawing views so that the sheet understands the scale of the drawing views and can display this scale in a callout in the title block.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
OK. I think I'm understanding now. So if I dimension a view in a sheet, it knows to use the scaling of the view. However if I dimension between two views, the sheet has no idea which scale to use and uses 1:1 by default.
However, why do blocks and views behave differently? When I place the view, I use a 1:12 scale. When I place the block, I specified a 1:12 scale for it as well. However If I put a dimension on the block (just the block itself, not to another view or block), I get a 1:1 dimension. When I place a dimension on the view, I get a 1:12 scale dimension. I would expect them both to be the same since I specified a 1:12 scale for both when I placed them.

N/A
Hmm. The story get stranger. When I place a dimension between a block and a view (both are 1:12 scale), it shows up at 1:1 scale. However, if I change it so that it's a non-driving dimension, it changes to 1:12 scale. Why's that?

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
There is a big difference between 2D Model views and blocks.
When you draw geometry in 2D Model, think of that as your model. Then you place a 2D Model view on a working sheet (Sheet1). Think of this 2D Model view as a window into the geometry that exists in 2D Model. It is not a copy of the geometry. You are displaying the geometry that exists in 2D Model but on the working sheet. You can place many 2D Model views that display (window) different areas of the 2D Model geometry. These 2D Model views can be at different scales. This does not scale the geometry in 2D Model, it scales the display. You always go into 2D Model to edit the geometry that is displayed in a 2D Model view.
Blocks are copies of geometry. You will see existing blocks in the edge bar under the Library tab. When you place a block, you are actually placing a copy or occurrence of the block on the working sheet. You can edit a block directly with block edit. This edit will update all occurrences or copies of the block. You cannot display portions of a block like you can with 2D Model views. Because each occurrence of a block is a copy of the geometry, when you scale the block, it is scaling the copy of the geometry.

Regards,
Rick B.