Border Templates

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi.

I am wanting to update our custom templates. 

The existing templates need tidying up.  Nothing is dimensioned and when I start to dimension they are all over the place.

Putting everything where I want isn't the issue.

Once I have everything where I want them, how do I lock them in place so that the template cannot be moved if dragged?

23 REPLIES

Re: Border Templates

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't understand your question. The title of the post is 'Border Templates'. I assume you just have a Draft template file that you are updating. Sheet border geometry is typically on a Background sheet. When you create a Working sheet to place your design geometry, you reference a Background sheet (sheet border) from the Working sheet. When editing geometry or design on the Working sheet, you can see the background geometry, but you cannot change it from the Working sheet. Please elaborate on your workflow.

Regards,

Rick B.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Riblack.

My issue isn't drafting a model on the working sheet.

I want to update the template itself.

The main border and title block are not fixed to any position and can be dragged or when I put on a dimension to to size the border or title block other lines may move.

This can be solved by contraining the main border to a fixed position.

Is this posible?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazzie  With the Maintain Relationships toggle ON, you can use the Lock relationship to lock the border lines in place thus preventing other relationships from moving them.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi All.

I finally worked it out.

Once your template is complete, you right click on athe layer that you created your main border with and select

'MAKE NON-LOCATABLE'.

This will put a symbol on it and you will not be able to move it unles you make it locatable.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Dazzie

the question more or less is, why are You able to move backround geometry.

You normally will not work on backround sheet, so this geometry i s fixed after it is set up once.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Hawcad.

I am still trying to get used to how Solid Edge works as I have only been using it for 6 months.

When detailing a drawing from a model or as a 2D draft we do it on the working sheet as we should.

In our title block most of the text is also fixed and will never need to be changed and/or is controlled through callout properties. (which I still need to learn).

There are a some of boxes that do need to be updated manually like (design checked, similar to and revision history).

I believe I am right in saying these boxes should be editable on the working sheet.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Dazzie

no I can not fully agree to this.

I think You always should try to have all info in Your drawing title block within one block on the backround sheet.

Controll it using property text rather than simple text boxes.

I have one single block within my draft for showing the titl block, and this is the same for every paper size and all is setted up using properties.

So I do not se the need for going onto the backround sheet.

It is a different issue if You talk about the "Model Sheet" for 2D drawings, but again there will be no draft border items on it, only model geometry.

I think, that the backround geometry is defined once and normally never ever selected again, execpt You change the backround 

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I have to concur with @hawcad.

If you are not sure at how title blocks and the sheets should work look at one of the out-of-the-box templates provided with Solid Edge.  Any of these OOTB draft templates provide examples of what Wolfgang is stating to you.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Hawcad.

I fully agree that all the information on the title block should be controlled through properties.

I need to learn how to do this.

Can you help or is there any training that you can point me to?