Can SE2D do 3D wireframe?

Pioneer
Pioneer

A competing free 2D package will allow me to do this. I need to construct a wireframe model of a structure for export to a structural analysis program that will then assign nodes and beam numbers to the model. A competing free 2D package allows me to call out a 3D space where I can do this. I can't seem to find a way to do this in SE2D. Is there a way to do this in SE2D?

Tim
For the responsibility, an Engineer's pay is a joke.
11 REPLIES

Re: Can SE2D do 3D wireframe?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tim,

If you're taking 2D elements into a 3D application, then the answer is yes....in Solid Edge free 2D you just need to export using a neutral format file translater that is compatible between them. [DWG, DXF, IGES]

(Note: not sure if SEf2D has IGES]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Sean, thank you for responding. Perhaps, my description is not clear enough. I am actually trying to do wireframe sketches in a 3D environment. Below is a snip of the environment I am getting from a competing free 2D package;

3D.png

In this environment, I am able to simulate a structure that consists of lines to represent steel beams. I can't seem to do this in SEf2d.

Tim

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Tim, Solid Edge Free 2D is simply that... 2D.  If you want more than that you need the complete Solid Edge product which is not free and then you can do all the 3D you want.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Pioneer
Pioneer
Yes, I know that. But I don't need to do all the 3D. I could do 3d wireframes in Dassault's Draftsight. That is basically a free 2d package that does not have the usual solid tools such as extrude, revolve and so on but will allow you to open 3D files and view in 3d space. I'll post an example of what I could do with Draftsight later on. But if SEf2d could allow me to do the same, I will not need to keep Draftsight.
Tim

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Tim,

SEf2D does not have an option to display/operate in 3D space....if you're dead set on 3D & wireframe elements, why not look [albeit at a cost, for commercial version] at Rhinoceros, if you don't want to use "DS" anymore...it handles this sort of workflow very well.

It used to be my fall back application for some of SE's surfacing short comings, but those have almost completely disappeared now. [in terms of my typical day to day needs]

If "DS" gives you what you need, for free, why change?

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Sean,
I am not looking to change. I have been a user of SEf2d long before Draftsight was offered free on the market. There are pros and cons of Draftsight compared to SEf2d. Less pros than cons I would say. I just thought if SE2d could do wireframes like Draftsight, I would not need to have two similar applications in my system. Below is an example of what I did with Draftsight. It is a line representation of a tank support. Each line represent a column, beam or strut. The model is then imported into an Analysis software for further work. Neat huh?
wireframe.png
Tim

Tim

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yup, that's one of those alright.  Robot Happy

FYI: This was probably the last [topically relevant] thing I did in Rhino, this started as some spatial survey points and architects basic wireframe key region definitons. Created solid model rods over finished wireframe, in order to bring into Solid Edge for better complete component modeling & finial detailing.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Sean,

Absolutely and you are right with SE detailing. That is why I have consistently been using it. SEf2d has by far the best detailing tools. Better than anything Autodesk sells.

BTW, that is a fabulous model with Rhino. I wonder if FreeCAD can open that.

Tim

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Cool model Sean.  Now the big question... Would you do the layout/conceptual work in Solid Edge today, or would you still use Rhino, and if so, why?  What would SE be lacking?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1