Can't Lock Elements After Dimensioning

N/A
I get an error message when trying to lock an element after using the Smart Dimension tool - "The requested change conflicts with existing relationships".

I was under the impression the Lock tool simpy locked an element where it was so it could not be moved under any circumstances, so locking is not changing as the error message implies. The element I try to lock still has some degrees of freedom and I can move it with the Select tool.

Newcomer to SolidEdge 2D so I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't find much info on the Lock tool.

Thanks,

Keith.
5 REPLIES

Re: Can't Lock Elements After Dimensioning

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Keith,
The Lock button on dimensions may be misleading. Lock does not mean to set the dimension so that the value cannot be changed. It means to make the dimension a driving dimension. There are two states of a dimension (driving and driven). A driving dimension can change geometry by changing a value. A driven dimension displays a value but cannot drive geometry. Make sure you have Maintain Relationships enabled. An easy way to understand this is to place a horizontal line. You will see the Horizontal/Vertical constraint at the midpoint of the line. Place a dimension on the line. This will be a driving dimension. It will be a black dimension on a white background. The value can be changed to change the length of the line. Now place a second dimension on the same line. This will be a driven dimension. It will be green. You cannot change this dimension to change the length of the line. You cannot make it driving. The reason for this is that two dimensions cannot control the length of the line at the same time. This would cause a conflict in solving the length of the line. The more complex your geometry gets, the more likely the case of dimensions not being driving. Place a rectangle. This is four lines with endpoint constraints and horizontal/vertical relationships. Place a driving dimension for the horizontal length of one line of the rectangle. Place a second dimension for the horizontal length of the rectangle on the other horizontal line. This will be a driven dimension and cannot be set to driving. The endpoint constraints, horizontal/vertical constraints, and first dimension solve the length of the rectangle.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for your clear and detailed reply. Indeed the use of the word "Lock" for this tool is misleading. I have Alibre Design and its lock tool means simply lock and elment in position and nothing can be changed. I use it quite often to stop geometry from unexpectedly "going for a short walk" when you apply a dimension or constraint somewhere.

So is there a way to lock elements in position before they are fully constrained ?

Cheers,

Keith.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Yes, if you look in the Relate section of the Sketch toolbar, you will notice an icon that looks like a lock. That will lock an element in place. Just below it you will also notice a command called Rigid Set. This will lock multiple elements together like a group, but will still allow relationships between the elements to solve. The lock on the Dimension command bar simply makes the dimension "drive" the geomtry based on the dimension value.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

N/A
Ken, how you going.

Thanks for your reply. That was the button I was using in the first place, but Rick must have thought I was using the lock button on the smart dimension bar (I've learnt something there anyway, thanks again Rick).

I think I've worked it out. Unlike my Aliber Design lock button, the lock button in SolidEdge can be used on both the keypoint and/or the element itself.

I was playing with two circles and after setting a diameter on a circle I tried to lock the circle in position, but got the error message I mentioned, and I could still drag the circle about. I now realise I have to lock the circle in position by locking the centre (keypoint).

I also played with a rectangle and dimensioned a side. After applying the driving dimension I couldn't lock the side (error message again) but I could drag it about. Again to lock it in place I had to lock the keypoint at the end of the side.

So if I've worked it out right, then to lock an element in a fixed position but with a driving dimension, it's basically dimension it first then lock its keypoint. Please correct me if I've got anything wrong there.

Thanks for your help guys.

Keith.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
You are right, the Lock on the element itself will compete with a dimension that is also locked (conflicting constraints) and controlling it's size or position. It's either or...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3