Conflicts Existing Relationships

N/A
Hi, I have a side view of a drawing from a top view.
There are no horizontal dimensions. There are only horizontal alignments.

However when I try add a dimension and drive the value of the distance between the side view and the top view, I get an error:
"Conflicts Existing Relationships".

I have searched all layers for what could create the conflict.
I find this very strange. It looks completely like it is floating to me.

The dimension I am trying to set is circled in a thick RED line as seen in the picture and in the attached drafting file.

If someone could check it out I would be most appreciative, cause I dont know what else to do.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES

Re: Conflicts Existing Relationships

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer
HI Michael,

It's the blocks in this view that are preventing it from moving. They do not play well with constrained geometry. Also, you may want to add a Horizontal/Vetical to the vertical line on the right hand side of this view.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

N/A
HI Michael,

It's the blocks in this view that are preventing it from moving. They do not play well with constrained geometry. Also, you may want to add a Horizontal/Vetical to the vertical line on the right hand side of this view.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Hi Andy, thank you for the reply. I am afriad to say I have read your reply 5 times and I still cant figure out what you mean.

When you say "It's the blocks in this view" I assume you mean in the attached pic I posted?

"They do not play well with constrained geometry", does that mean SE is buggy? And that if you add certain constraints, it does not work so well, sounds like a flaw?

I added a vertical constraint to the far most right side block's right side vertical line. However it still does not allow me to modify the dimension circled in red that I need to. I cant fit the drawing in my page, because it seems SE is bugging and not very synchronous. It is disheartening because I have re drawn my simple box 3 times, and each time in run into issues to do with constraints and conflicts that dont make any sense to me. SE doesnt even hint at where the conflict is.

I thought SE would be great because if I need to change the thickness of the material I use to make the box, all I do is change a variable. Unlike AutoCad where it almost becomes faster to re draw the whole thing. However this is good in theory, however all that happens is your drawing gets slower and slower, and then you start getting illogical errors, not matter how logical and clean I try to make it.

N/A
Workaround:

let's say you want to set the red circled dimension to 30 mm.

- Copy (use the Move command and select the copy option at the command option bar) both lines where the dimension 33.87 mm is associated with and use them as auxiliary line.
- Copy your right auxiliary line 30 mm to the left.
- Select your side view.
- Move it from to

A better way is to use 1 viewport per view and utilize the view alignments:

- create the viewports
- for better visualization you can toggle the showing/hiding of the viewing border
(contex menu of the view port --> properties --> Show drawing borders)
- select a viewport and use "select - modify drawing view boundary" from the command option bar
- that switches to the model sheet and shows the boundary wich can be constrained (i.e. 25 mm distant from your part)
- repeat for all your views
- to align the views select "create alignment" from the contex menu of a view port
- choose the alignment direction (horizontal, vertical...) from the command option bar (does not work just by pointing the direction - it took some time to found it out)
--> @developers: feature request - alignment direction by pointing the direction
- repeat for all view ports you want to align
- now try to move the view ports around

Haven't found out if there's an easier way, there are some more options i haven't tried yet

I've repacked your drawing with all the changes i've done. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Robert Goldbach

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer
Hi Ron,

The Blocks I am refering to are geometry that is grouped into a block. Did you draw this drawing yourself? If not, then did you translate this in from AutoCAD? If translated in from AutoCAD, then the blocks were probably created in the AutoCAD drawing. When I say "blocks do not play well with constrained geometry", I am indicating that there are things that work well within blocks and things that work well within constrained geometry, but the two do not mix well. Creating a block effectively does the same thing as creating a rigid set. You cannot make changes to the geometry contained within.

Anyway, the testing I did to come to this conclusion was all done within the Draft file that you posted. There are several groups of geometry (the "side views" of the thru holes where you show a counterbored hole as well as the dimension for the depth) that if you right mouse click on them, you will see an "Unblock" option on the context menu. If you choose this option, then you can access the individual geometry elements underneath the block definition. After unblocking this geometry, I can get the whole view to move. The blocks act like grounded geometry and prevent movement. The vertical line on the left is connected to these blocks. So if you unblock the blocks, the whole thing can move. Once this condition is satisfied, though, you will see that the bottom end of the right side vertical line does not move. This is because there is no vertical relaitonship on it and the bottom line does not have a dimension to maintain its length.

Does htis help any?