Creating an exploded view

Creator
Creator

How do I scale a detail with out the dimensions changing?

Bill

12 REPLIES

Re: Creating an exploded view

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bill,

You'll need to created a "2D Model" view.....and move [cut & paste] your geometry to the "2D Model" sheet that the system creates for this process, then you can make scale views on different sheets, etc, from that. [check the help (F1) system on this for more....hover the cursor over the command when pressing F1, then it will go directly to the right topic]

ST7_DFT_Sketching_DrawingViews_2DModel.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the quick reply! I am using the Solid Edge 2D free version it does not appear to have the menu item you are showing.

Bill

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ah...quite right, 2D Free doesn't have the same tool set as the commercial 3D product.

Luckely some of our shop PC's run 2D Free also.....try looking on the "View" tab.

*HINT:  if you right mouse click on any frequently used button[s], and choose "Add to Quick Access Toolbar" for ease of use, it'll be added  to the application header, with the "Save" & "Undo & Redo" buttons.

ST6_2DFree_View_2DModel.png

Sean Cresswell

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Bill,

2D Model can be accessed in the 2D Drafting software in a few ways. As Sean states it is on the View tab. You can also enable 2D Model by Right Mouse Click on any sheet tab at the bottom and clicking on 2D Model. The easiest way to find something is using 'Command Finder' at the bottom of the application window. There is a field down there next to the prompt. Key in '2D Model' and enter. The software will show you where the command is. When you enable 2D Model it will display as a new Sheet tab at the bottom. This allows you to access the 2D model geometry easily.

Regards,

Rick B.

Creator
Creator

Rick,

Thanks for the response.I use the 2-D model page on regular basis. What I'm trying to accomplish is to have a scale layout of a residential house design on the same page with a two times the scale exploded view. I have at AutoCAD drawing that I imported which has this multiple scaled views on the same page however I cannot see how that can be accomplished directly from the 2-D version.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bill,

Take a look at the draft file I have attached [made on ST6 2D-Free].....I have shown a couple of ways to display multi-scale views of the "2D Model[s]".

Sean Cresswell

Creator
Creator

Yes that is exactly what I want to do. How did you create the view/detail envelope?

Thanks,

Bill

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Bill,

OK, great....if you go to the "Tables" tab, there is the "Drawing Views" group....what I recommend you do is, right click on both "2D Model" & "Detail" buttons, and add them to QAT [Quick Access Toolbar] for use no matter what tab you're on.

Further, you should save the changes to the way you want it set out, to your main template [your own version if you wish] to display these detail views, such as detail boarder display, scale, title, font, etc...then it'll be the same for all new drawings.

SE_ST6_2DFree_DrawingViews.png

Sean Cresswell

Creator
Creator

I am losing it? My version does not appear to have that group.

Thanks,

Bill

st7 no drawing view.png