Creating and using Symbols in Library

N/A
Hi,

I am drawing a schematic of a manufacturing process in Solid Edge 2D model space (not work sheet) and I have to use a particular arrow with a circle on it repeatedly. So, I selected the arrow and the circle and created them as a new symbol. But now, I do not find an option to call it in 2D model space.

I read that, I can only use the created symbols as blocks in the work sheet. I do not understand this step. Is there any other simple alternative for my situation?

Thanks,

Menta
3 REPLIES

Re: Creating and using Symbols in Library

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
The best thing to do is to use blocks instead of symbols. When you crete a block, you can have it listed in the edge bar and simply drag and drop it into your drawing. You can also create a derft file that is a library of blocks. The blocks can be dragged out of one draft file and into another using the block list in edge bar. If you need more detailed directions, let me know.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Hi Rick,
Thank you for the response. I see that when I create blocks, I can only use them in the worksheet and not in the 2D Model View page. And also for some reason, every time I try to drag and drop the block on to the sheet, it has extra empty space along with the selected symbols. That is little inconvenient to work with. However, copying the group of symbols at the same time and pasting them as a 'Solid Edge Draft Document' has been helping me out. I am able to use them very conveniently in the 2D model page.
But I am having trouble with printing the document. When I print from the 2D Model page, the lines are very light in color. And if I print from the work sheet, the border line occupies only part of the printout page making the drawing hard to read. Is there a way I can print from the worksheet without the borders and built-in blocks?
Regards,
Menta

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Menta,
You can place blocks on both Working Sheets and 2D Model. Make sure that you click on the Library tab in EdgeBar when in 2D Model. You may be listing Layers. When you click on the Library tab, also click on 'Show blocks' just below it. You should see your blocks listed.

I don't understand the extra empty space issue. There is no space in a block. It is only the geometry. Are you mixing block and symbol here? Can you send the file to me. There are issues with using symbols. A symbol is a draft file and carries the overhead of an entire draft file. You also have to be aware of linking or embedding. If you embed a symbol, your local draft file size will significantly grow with each embedded symbol. This is because you are embedding a draft file with each symbol. If you link then you have to make sure that you keep the symbol draft files in a specific location or they cannot be found. Blocks will not have these issues.

Regards,
Rick B.