Creating series of holes along an arc...

N/A
Hi,

I want to laser cut some acrylic to make an edge-lit sign. I'm looking for a way, given an arc, to generate very small holes, say 20mil diam and 50mil apart, automatically along the arc - there will be 100s of these arc potentially. Ideally, I'd like the start & end point of the arc to be a hole, but that is not essential.

Engraving is not an option - for the effect I'm after, its a line of small holes...

Any ideas welcome...

Thanks

Nick
8 REPLIES

Re: Creating series of holes along an arc...

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer
Nick,

Unfortunately, the 2D Drafting product does not really have a solution for you. In the 3D purchased product, we have a Pattern Along a curve command that would allow you to do exactly what you want, but this command is available in the 3D Part environment and not in Draft.

N/A
Thanks for the reply - unfortunately I only work in 2D and can't justify buying 3D for just this project - I'll have to use another product.
Cheers,
Nick

N/A
Nick,
If you are truly patterning along an arc,
use the Circular Pattern command.
It is in the drop list under the Mirror command.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
How would I use Circular Pattern to do this?

Thanks

N/A
Draw the arc on which the pattern will reside.
Draw the circle at one end of the arc that will represent one of the holes.
The circular pattern command uses angles for the spacing,
so you will have to calculate the angle based on the spacing distance.
Click on the circle that you want to pattern.
Run the circular pattern command.
You will notice a dynamic pattern display.
You can specify the angle you calculated and the number of copies to make.
To make it pattern relative to the center of the arc move the mouse over the
arc so that it locates the arc.
Now move the cursor toward the center of the arc.
It will locate the center of the arc.
Click to place the pattern.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
In my version (Free 2D ST3) rectangular and circular patterning functions are disabled. Why?

(2D patterning is a pretty basic/essential function for a 2D CAD tool.)

N/A
In my version (Free 2D ST3) rectangular and circular patterning functions are disabled. Why?

(2D patterning is a pretty basic/essential function for a 2D CAD tool.)

You have to select a rectangle or circle first then the tools become active.

Hope this helps.

N/A
Yes, I see that preselecting a 2D element does make the patterning functions available, but I am completely lost as to understanding the rationale of this behavior. The behavior is not consistant with respect to the other functions (ex. offset, scaling, mirroring, ...etc.) that also operate on existing entities; you are not required to preselect any entity in order to activate those functions.
I would like to point out that preselecting any 2D element (even a note) will make the patterning functions available even though it has no value in establishing certain characteristics for the pattern type. Even though on the surface it makes sense to select a circle to preform a circular pattern and a "rectangle" to preform a retangular pattern it should not be a requirement. By the way, based on my limited knowledge of the product, there is no such thing as a retangle entity; yes, there several functions to create "rectangle" shapes, but the result is not a rectangle but 4 lines.