DIMENSIONS OR RELATIONSHIP HANDLES?

Ricky, some of my drawings are getting slow to react when I add or change relationships. I guess this is due to the time it takes to compute as well as my computer which is about 2 yrs old. So I’m wondering whether I’m using the most efficient combinations of relationship handles vs. dimensions. Is there a rule of thumb as to which is most efficient?
For example, if I have the choice to set 2 lines in collinear using either dimension(s) or a relationship handle, which is the most efficient use of memory/computing speed?

Thanks,
Ron
2 REPLIES

Re: DIMENSIONS OR RELATIONSHIP HANDLES?

Ron,
How complex is your drawing? About how many graphic objects are there (hundreds, tousands, etc.)?
There is no difference between using constraints and dimensions. Dimensions are constraints.
If your geometry is getting complex, you can consider two options to help manage constraint solving.
Use blocks - If you have geometry that is duplicated many times within the drawing, use blocks. A block can have many graphic objects that are constrained within the block. When you edit the block these constraints are active. The block can be constrained to the geometry outside of the block, geometry on the drawing. But the block occurrence is seen as a single graphic entity within the drawing. This correctly positions the block within your drawing. The constraints within the block are ignored from outside the block. This can grewatly reduce solve time.
Use rigid sets - There is a specific constraint type that allows you to take a set of geometry that you do not want to change within itself and lock it together. This is not a positional lock, it is a way to fix geometry together so that it again can be positioned within the overall drawing. Like blocks the rigid set is driven by constraints, but solve ignores the constraints within the rigid set.

I hope this helps with the solve time,
Rick B.

Re: DIMENSIONS OR RELATIONSHIP HANDLES?

The drawing has thousands of elements. It’s a drawing of a jewelry box tray. I’ve dimensioned it so that just changing the inside of the box dimensions automatically alters the tray dimensions as well as the individual partitions within the tray. I do have one block which automatically sets the tray depth once I edit the block for a given tray. But the rest of the elements must relate to each other which, I think, eliminates blocks and rigid sets.

Ron