DWG & DXF Exports - X Y Datums & spline nodes

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all

i am having an issue when drafting with solid edge and exporting to a CAM system via DWG & DXF files.

1. when i load the dxf / dwg files into the CAM system, it takes the corner of the page as the 0,0 X,Y datum, rathern than the datum used when modelling the part (central to sketch planes etc). is there a way to manually set an X Y datum in the draft so when i export the files into a CAM system it centers itself properly?

2. Some of the features drawn on the components are sketched via splines. When exported via 3d model (XT / IGES etc) or a dwg / dxf, the amount of spline nodes is relatively minimal. this causes a lot of "stepping" when the part is machined. I know that with AUTOCAD, you can "explode" splines to increase the amount of nodes by roughtly x100. is there a feature in SE that will do the same?

any help appreciated

thanks

scott

3 REPLIES

Re: DWG & DXF Exports - X Y Datums & spline nodes

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Scott,

I'm confused, are you exporting 3D or 2D files to the CAM system?

As far back as I can remember, the CSYS has always been respected from both environments to CAM systems I have dealt with, but they do differ, graphically within Solid Edge. There are work arounds for it, if needed.

You can indeed adjust spline definition, but I would expect your export format is your limiting factor for entity integrity, and is where any degradation is occurring.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Sean

thanks for the reply. I have tried exporting both 3D and 2D files into the CAM system. the guys in the workshop preffer things to be in a DXF format but as stated, the amount of nodes in the spline are minimal when compared to a part drawn in AutoCAD with an "explode" function used on the spline / PLine, and then exported as a PDF.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Scott,

OK, so if it's a sketch entity from within draft, not a view of a 3D model, then there are geometry controls that can reduce &/or increase the point density used.

Although, for model views you have the option to do a "Convert to 2D View", this will afford you the same manual adjustment, but adds the drawback of disconnected associativity from the 3D model.

SE_ST8_DFT_SplineCurvePointCountEdit.png

Can you post an example or two [images, or CAD files] of the types of issues you describe?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10