Dimension fail with mirrored elements

MirrorDimensionFailing.JPG

When I try to mirror the selected solid line elements about the mirror axis highlighted in pink below, many of the dimensions fail. 

MirrorDimensionFailingAfter.JPG

I can't figure out how the mirroring of the elements makes the seemingly unrelated/non-dependent dimensions fail.

I thought it might be a hardware limitation - that my computer can't handle so many relationships? I'm using a 2012 HP Probook i5 with a HDD and 8GB RAM...

This is causing me some headaches, as I can't think of another way to elegantly model this relatively complex component.

Any ideas? 

3 REPLIES

Re: Dimension fail with mirrored elements

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @peterjacobson,

I'm not entirely sure I follow what you're doing when it causes the dimension errors.....but generally, if the original geometry the dimension is connected to is nolonger there, then this will result in the error.

Can you share that file here?, so either myself, or another user can help you out.

I doubt your file is causing any system drain issue, especially if what you show is pretty much all it consists of.

My mirroring functions as expected....

(view in My Videos)

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi Sean,

Thanks heaps for getting back to me.

As you can see in the attached file, a set of somewhat complex elements are being mirrored, and those mirrored elements are in turn being mirrored. It failed at the final mirror of mirror of mirror step, hence the bottommost tab details are a copied set, rather than a mirrored set.

Mirroring seems by far the most elegant way to model the problem, but for some reason seems resource intensive.

This is where I got to before the model broke - on the rightmost edge you can see I've started another feature. simply connecting the trailing solid tail line back to the 'skeleton' breaks the whole model in my complete 2D model.

I've since posted the related issue here with some more details of my system: Solid edge big lag and failed computations while using max 30% RAM and 4% CPU

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Pete