Solved! Go to solution

Dimension using ST6 Free 2D

Would anyone know if it's possible to dimension existing SE drawing views using the ST6 version of the free 2D drafting application?

I seem to be unable to select any drawing view data to place a dimension. This also applies to trying to dimension DXF data as well.

4 REPLIES

Re: Dimension using ST6 Free 2D

Hi there @Mike_99,

This seems like you may have a faulty installation, or work flow,.....as this should work. We're on ST9, and some of our guys in the factory have Free2D installed....and all is working as expected.

Could you upload the file here, that doesn't work for you?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike_99
‎10-03-2016 12:00 PM

[ Edited ]

Solid Edge 2D Drafting is NOT intended to be used for annotating drawings created from 3D models. You will not be able to locate the geometry of the drawing views. This is by design. However, you can use 2D Drafting for collaboration purposes. You can add annotations (Notes) on the drawing that are not attached to drawing view geometry and save the file. Then you can send the file back to the original provider.

There should not be any issues with dimensioning the geometry in a draft file created by opening a .dxf file. Please keep in mind that this is a translated file. The .dxf file is translated into the Solid Edge Draft format when opened. It would be good to see the original .dxf file.

Regards,

Rick B.

Hello Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply and confirmation that you cannot attach dimensions to geometry in draft views generated from 3D models.

It must have been an issue with the install or particular DXF regarding the earlier problem as I can now open and dimension DXF files without any problems.

Thanks.

Mike

Looks like it was a possible faulty install as a re-install now allows dimensioning of DXF files. As rlblack states, it cannot add dimensions to .dft views which was my original question. Thanks for the reply Sean.