Dimensions Not Working In Tool Bar.

N/A
This is my first shot at using a CAD program of any type. I just installed Solid Edge 2D Drafting ST5, V 105.00.01.015, and was going through the Tutorials. In the first Tutorial everything works fine until I draw the rectangle. The rectangle comes out fine but the measurements don't change from 0.000 in all fields. I have my modeling standard set to ANSI. I haven't tried going any further in the tutorials since I'd like to see if this can be fixed.

I suppose, for my purposes, this isn't a major problem since I can still approximate the relative size of the components and label them with their true dimensions. but it wold be neat if I could get it done right.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
3 REPLIES

Re: Dimensions Not Working In Tool Bar.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
I am trying to follow what you describe. When you run the Rectangle by 2 Points command and click the first point, you will see a red dynamic rectangle displayed. Do you see this?

You will also see input fields for Width, Height, and Angle in the command bar. These input fields change as you move the mouse. Do you see these? These input fields are for the rectangle being placed. Once the rectangle is placed, these input fields are for the next rectangle to be placed. They are not inputs for the rectangle already placed. That may be the confusion. The values are zero because you have not started the next rectangle.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Well, I didn't see the dynamic rectangle, but, by accident, I do now. I was clicking and holding while moving the mouse diagonally to for the rectangle. I accidentally released the click and bingo, I see the dynamic rectangle and the values do change now. Oh well, live and learn. Like I said, this is my first attempt at a CAD program. Anyway, thank you for the response. It is greatly appreciated. I'll try to not become a pest.

Siemens Master Siemens Master
Siemens Master
Yes, Solid Edge is almost always Click (let up) and then move and Click again. "Mouse Down" drag, while common in some Windows apps is really awkward for doing precise work. That is why Solid Edge uses click/click rather than click/drag/letup.