Reply

Dimensions: projection lines, references, and angles

SE2D Free V20.00.01.08

I've been battling with these four dimension-related issues for a while, and I'm just going to come right out and ask.

1. Is there any way to change the element to which a dimension applies? For example, I inadvertently clicked on the 'midpoint' element of a vertical line when creating the dimension, and didn't realise it until much later. Given dependencies and other dimensions driven by this one, I'd like to adjust this dimension to apply to the line itself, or the line's endpoint, rather than its midpoint -- without having to delete and recreate it.

2. Carrying the last question forward, I find myself adjusting the length of dimension projection lines frequently. (That's how I figured out the referenced element above was the line's midpoint -- the projection line extended 'way too far.) What I'd like to be able to do is have the projection line endpoints snap to something (like perhaps an IntelliSketch-like alignment with the other projection line) so that the gap between the project lines and the element are the same for both lines. Is there any way to do this in 2D? Or do I either have to continue to maxi-zoom in and approximate, or temporarily set the grid divisions to tiny intervals, snap, and reset the grid?

3. Once I've created an angle-between dimension, I can't move the dimension line closer to or farther from the element, as I can with distance-between dimensions. All I can do is move the dimension value along its current arc at the same distance from the element. Is it possible to do this (change the arc distance)?

4. Angle-between dimensions again.. If I move the dimension value outside of the projection lines, I don't seem to be able to control whether the break line is to the left or to the right. The results are generally pretty ugly. How do I get the break line to go in a particular direction?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES

Re: Dimensions: projection lines, references, and angles

Ken,
See my comments below.

"Ken@Coar.Org" wrote in
message news:KenCoar.Org.4cpqez@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> SE2D Free V20.00.01.08
>
> I've been battling with these four dimension-related issues for a
> while, and I'm just going to come right out and ask.
>
> 1. Is there any way to change the element to which a dimension applies?
> For example, I inadvertently clicked on the 'midpoint' element of a
> vertical line when creating the dimension, and didn't realise it until
> much later. Given dependencies and other dimensions driven by this one,
> I'd like to adjust this dimension to apply to the line itself, or the
> line's endpoint, rather than its midpoint -- without having to delete
> and recreate it.

A dimension has handle points that may be used to reconnect the dimension.
Click on a dimension away from the text of the dimension.
You will see handle points where the dimension connects to the objects.
Press and hold the 'Alt' key on the keyboard.
Left Mouse Click and hold on the handle point that you want to move.
Drag the handle point and it will disconnect the dimension at that point.
'Alt" is alternate drag (disconnect) for the handle point.
You can let up on the 'Alt' key but do not let up on the mouse button.
Continue to drag the handle point to the keypoint that you want to attach
to.
You will see a keypoint indicator (endpoint for example).
Drop the handle point there and it will attach to the new keypoint.
If you drop the handle in free space it will jump back to the previous
keypoint.

>
> 2. Carrying the last question forward, I find myself adjusting the
> length of dimension projection lines frequently. (That's how I figured
> out the referenced element above was the line's midpoint -- the
> projection line extended 'way too far.) What I'd *like* to be able to
> do is have the projection line endpoints snap to something (like perhaps
> an IntelliSketch-like alignment with the other projection line) so that
> the gap between the project lines and the element are the same for both
> lines. Is there any way to do this in 2D? Or do I either have to
> continue to maxi-zoom in and approximate, or temporarily set the grid
> divisions to tiny intervals, snap, and reset the grid?
>

The dimension projection lines have a gap distance at the end of the
projection line.
This gap distance will display as a gap from the keypoint selected.
If you are connected to a midpoint of a line and the projection line is
parallel with the line, the dimension projection line will overlay the line.
If you use the line end point you will see the gap.

> 3. Once I've created an angle-between dimension, I can't move the
> dimension line closer to or farther from the element, as I can with
> distance-between dimensions. All I can do is move the dimension value
> along its current arc at the same distance from the element. Is it
> possible to do this (change the arc distance)?
>

I would have to see an example of what you are doing.
I have no problems moving the angle dimension toward or away from the
geometry.

> 4. Angle-between dimensions again.. If I move the dimension value
> *outside* of the projection lines, I don't seem to be able to control
> whether the break line is to the left or to the right. The results are
> generally pretty ugly. How do I get the break line to go in a
> particular direction?
>

I assume you are using Horizontal text on dimensions.
If this is the case, then you are correct. We need an additional handle
point in this case to move the text to the other side.

> Thanks!
>
>
> --
> Ken@Coar.Org
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Ken@Coar.Org's Profile:
> http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=93335
> View this thread: http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42601
>


Re: Dimensions: projection lines, references, and angles

Press and hold the 'Alt' key on the keyboard.
Left Mouse Click and hold on the handle point that you want to move.
Drag the handle point and it will disconnect the dimension at that point.
Continue to drag the handle point to the keypoint that you want to attach
to.


Brilliant! Thanks!

The dimension projection lines have a gap distance at the end of the
projection line.
This gap distance will display as a gap from the keypoint selected.
If you are connected to a midpoint of a line and the projection line is
parallel with the line, the dimension projection line will overlay the line.
If you use the line end point you will see the gap.


Right. It's that I want to be able to snap the end of the projection line, either to match its companion or to some sort of uniform distance. As it is, if I drag the projection line handle to change the gap size, there don't appear to be any snap aspects. Having an IntelliSketch-like way to line up the handle with that on its companion projection line would be a terrific boon. :-)

I would have to see an example of what you are doing.
I have no problems moving the angle dimension toward or away from the
geometry.


I found the mechanism. I have to click on the dimension line in order to move it. Not on one of its handles, not on the dimension value, but on the dimension line itself. Not IOTTMCO since it doesn't work the same way the distance-between dimensioning works (drag the value outside the projection lines, move the dimension line closer to or farther away, and then drag the value back in between the projection lines).

I assume you are using Horizontal text on dimensions.
If this is the case, then you are correct. We need an additional handle
point in this case to move the text to the other side.


Yes, that is correct. So there's no way to do it even from the properties dialogue?

Thanks!

Re: Dimensions: projection lines, references, and angles

See my comments below.
Rick B.
"Ken@Coar.Org" wrote in
message news:KenCoar.Org.4crneb@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
>> Press and hold the 'Alt' key on the keyboard.
>> Left Mouse Click and hold on the handle point that you want to move.
>> Drag the handle point and it will disconnect the dimension at that
>> point.
>> Continue to drag the handle point to the keypoint that you want to
>> attach
>> to.
>>

>
> Brilliant! Thanks!
>
>> The dimension projection lines have a gap distance at the end of the
>> projection line.
>> This gap distance will display as a gap from the keypoint selected.
>> If you are connected to a midpoint of a line and the projection line
>> is
>> parallel with the line, the dimension projection line will overlay the
>> line.
>> If you use the line end point you will see the gap.
>>

>
> Right. It's that I want to be able to snap the end of the projection
> line, either to match its companion or to some sort of uniform distance.
> As it is, if I drag the projection line handle to change the gap size,
> there don't appear to be any snap aspects. Having an IntelliSketch-like
> way to line up the handle with that on its companion projection line
> would be a terrific boon. :-)
Good enhancement. I'll create a enhancement request.

>
>> I would have to see an example of what you are doing.
>> I have no problems moving the angle dimension toward or away from the
>> geometry.
>>

>
> I found the mechanism. I have to click on the dimension line in order
> to move it. Not on one of its handles, not on the dimension value, but
> on the dimension line itself. Not IOTTMCO since it doesn't work the
> same way the distance-between dimensioning works (drag the value outside
> the projection lines, move the dimension line closer to or farther away,
> and then drag the value back in between the projection lines).
If the dimension line is long enough to click on the line you do not have to
drag the dimension text out first.
Simply drag the dimension line.

>
>> I assume you are using Horizontal text on dimensions.
>> If this is the case, then you are correct. We need an additional
>> handle
>> point in this case to move the text to the other side.
>>

>
> Yes, that is correct. So there's no way to do it even from the
> properties dialogue?
Currently, No. I'll see about fixing this.

>
> Thanks!
>
>
> --
> Ken@Coar.Org
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Ken@Coar.Org's Profile:
> http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=93335
> View this thread: http://bbsnotes.ugs.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42601
>


Re: Dimensions: projection lines, references, and angles


I too would like to see this fix. It is very clumsy trying to work with angle dimensions
to make them fit the drawing.
Ed
"Ricky Black" wrote:

>>> I assume you are using Horizontal text on dimensions.
>>> If this is the case, then you are correct. We need an additional
>>> handle
>>> point in this case to move the text to the other side.
>>>

>>
>> Yes, that is correct. So there's no way to do it even from the
>> properties dialogue?
>
>Currently, No. I'll see about fixing this.
>
>>
>> Thanks!


Re: Dimensions: projection lines, references, and angles

Ken,
For #4.
Hold down the Shift key on the keyboard.
Then click on the text and drag the text to the other side of the angular
dim arc.
Regards,
Rick B.

Re: Dimensions: projection lines, references, and angles

Rick,

Brilliant! Thanks!