Does SolidEdge 2D Prepare me for 3D?

I am preparing to take an Engineering Design course that uses Solid Edge 3D. Will practicing with this 2D version prepare me in any way for using the 3D program?

Thanks for any advice!
4 REPLIES

Re: Does SolidEdge 2D Prepare me for 3D?

Yes. Solid Edge 2D Drafting is a subset of the full Solid Edge software. The concepts you learn in Solid Edge 2D Drafting for sketching will apply to sketching in 3D to create 3D features.

Regards,
Rick B.

Agreed with the above, just make sure show all relationships, and maintain relationships are turned on.
Travis Finlay

Awesome! Thanks for your reply's!

SE Free2D is by far the most superior free 2D package in the market at this time. The next closest challenger is SolidWorks Draftsight. I have both installed in my station. I would say Draftsight has the upper hand when it comes to preserving entities when opening dwg files created by other packages. But SE Free2D leads by far when it comes to drawing tools and features. I think Siemens should consider making their full package free for installation but charge a nominal fee whenever the user would like an output. This pay per use model has been marketed by Delcam and MEDUSA for some time now. I am now learning to use MEDUSA as it is more suited to my line of work.
Best regards,