Drafting tablets

N/A
Hi all.

I have just found free2d, looks very promising, need a simple CAD program for woodworking projects, I would like to move upgrade from the back of old envelopes.

One question that I have not been able to find an answer to, is, how can I use an old serial port based Summasketch III drafting tablet? I have a USB to serial converter all the necessary windows 7 drivers, what else do I need to do to get the program to accept input from the tablet?

Hope someone can help.

Bob
12 REPLIES

Re: Drafting tablets

N/A
I have not tried my tablet yet, but since it works the same as a mouse, it should just plain work. Macro and custom buttons on the tablet may or may not be able to be mapped to functions but anything with a keyboard shortcut should be able to be programmed to the tablet hot keys area or the button puck in the Summasketch software.

N/A
I have not tried my tablet yet, but since it works the same as a mouse, it should just plain work. Macro and custom buttons on the tablet may or may not be able to be mapped to functions but anything with a keyboard shortcut should be able to be programmed to the tablet hot keys area or the button puck in the Summasketch software.

Thanks for that, hopefully when I can get the software to work I will be able to try the tablet.

Cheers

Bob

N/A
I should probably find my puck and give mine a try.

N/A
Finally got the program to work after re installing three times.

Tablet problem is with win 7 drivers and usb/serial converter drivers. I'm going to load the program onto an old XP machine with a serial port where I know that it will work.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Bob

N/A
GTCO makes note of the USB/serial adapters having some issues. I just need to find my puck and see what I can do, Pretty sure the pen will work right since it doesn't do anything more than just pointing. I've been doing a lot of circuit board design in another program and the programming in the puck would speed things up a lot.

I may need to buy a new USB/serial adapter too, the FTDI stuff seems to make a better virtual com port than a lot of the others so that will probably be what I do if I need to buy a new adapter.

Not too many small format USB connected tablets on the market right now, it would be nice to get something like a 12x9 with 16 button puck that I could carry back and forth to work. Didn't find anything that could take a real multi-button puck.

N/A
Ok, so now I have a question... Does the Tablet Works software allow you to assign keyboard keys to the puck buttons? Since my puck seems to be gone I don't want to buy a new one just to find out that I can't assign things like the function keys to a button. I thought this was part of the Wintab software which no longer works with the USB connections but I might be wrong since it has been several years since I used my tablet.

N/A
Ok, so now I have a question... Does the Tablet Works software allow you to assign keyboard keys to the puck buttons? Since my puck seems to be gone I don't want to buy a new one just to find out that I can't assign things like the function keys to a button. I thought this was part of the Wintab software which no longer works with the USB connections but I might be wrong since it has been several years since I used my tablet.

It does in XP. Windows 7 is quite another story.

N/A
Are you using the latest version of of the software? Also are you running it as an administrator? The user access control could be messing you up.
Also have you contacted GTCO about the problems? They were extremely quick to get back to me considering that I was asking about a 10 year old device (but still an almost current product). I need to get a new USB-RS232 adapter and give it a try with the pen and the macro buttons on the tablet before I order a new puck. My most desired use would be for the circuit board layout software since it uses a lot of different function keys so it would really speed things up.
The other thing I found in searching was that some people are using a gaming product to map functions and shortcut keys but I can't find the product or the link. Is was designed for first person shooters to hand multiple commands and looked like it would be pretty nice at a workstation. I think it was a Saitek product but all I see on their website are flight sticks.

N/A