Dragging curve/arc handle siezes sketch

[ Edited ]

Hello, again. Thanks for your help, the interface is already growing on me. I'm running into problems with arcs and curves, though. When dragging certain handles on a tangent arc, it will start to move, but as soon as the line starts to move, to follow the mouse, it freezes, highlighting other elements/dimensions that should have little to do with the arc I'm manipulating. I can repeatedly re-grab and drag, and it will move once, each time.

For example, Ill draw a line, and dimension it to fix it in place, start a tangent arc from the end point, set it somewhere, and drag a free point. Grabbing the end point, it acts as expected, keeping the tangent constraint and allowing the rest of the curve to move. Moving the center point, though, it will start to move, and lock up. The curve will update on the screen once, somewhere close, or far away, depending on how fast and far I moved the mouse, changing the curve correctly, but siezed up.

One design has a few more constraints on the line that the curve/arc stars on, and all 3 free handles lock up on me. What can I change to help free up the sketch? I've already searched the forums, help, and commands, and tried unchecking all the snap-to boxes in the IntelliSketch panel, but am at a loss, as to where else to look. Could my computer, somehow, be at fault?

Edit: It isn't restricted to curves, actually. it's happening to other elements in my sketch, as well.

Thank you, again.

picture is after moving the end point of top arc to the right,

6 REPLIES

Re: Dragging curve/arc handle siezes sketch

Hi there,

The top line looks to me to have a "tangent" relationship at the free end, so I would guess there is a very short line segment there also.....that maybe it is part of the cause.

Not sure as to what portion you are selecting/dragging on....does it behaive like in the video?

(view in My Videos)

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

oh, video's easy to do, that's nice.

(view in My Videos)

[ Edited ]

Yeah...the raw upload of video needs to be small, but for larger [longer duration] ones, you'll need to upload to a private You Tube listing, then post that link here, the same way, but copy the link use the web URL.

To your geometry....what happens is you just select the line, and type a new value in the dimension [or can scroll the mouse wheel] field, to something greater than it is currently limiting itself to?

Are you able to share your file??

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Entering values and setting relationships works just fine, but, now it seems not to let me drag anything, without siezing up.

I can't share that particular file, as it belongs to my boss, but I've run into that problem on multiple machines, now, and with every model I've started. Dragging handles seems to just be rather buggy. I can enter values, and that works for me, most of the time, but during the design process, I often don't know, or care, what the numbers are. I'm looking for a particular appearance, and tweak the model to specific numbers, afterwards. The model locking up, every time I drag some nodes, is incredibly frustrating.

Is this inherent to the program, or am I doing something wrong?

thank you

-Peter

Hi Peter,

Seems odd that you are having these issues....I wonder if it could be system related. What are your computer specs...? Hardware like AMD graphics have been historically prone to performance issues....mostly in their drivers. One version works, the next update doesn't, kind of deal.

Generally the 2D solver in Solid Edge is very effective in it's arena, and the amount of geometry in your video is not what I would consider a dense amount of fine detail at all.

Your work flow is a very familiar one with me also,....where the look/feel of the design evolves as you work, so I really am at a loss to point a finger at any one thing that may immediately help you further.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10