Driven Dimensions Only in ST4

I can't seem to create driving dimensions. Every dimension I place is a driven dimension. Even if I start a new drawing and draw one line and use the Smart Dimension tool to place the dimension it always ends up being a driven dimension and I can't change it by clicking on the lock icon.
Any ideas?
This is happening on two computers.
Thanks,
Ed
7 REPLIES

Re: Driven Dimensions Only in ST4

Are you in Draft, or a model file, and if model, Ordered or Synch mode?

If in Draft, you have to remeber to turn on "Maintain Relationships".

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

I'm in 2D model view and I do have maintain relationships turned on. This is the free version of Solid Edge 2D. I have no idea what Ordered or Synch mode is. I've been using Solid Edge 2D for over four years now and have never run into this problem (just to give you some background).

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,
Turn on both Maintain Relationships and Relationship Handles.
Place a horizontal line. Do you see the horizontal/vertical constraint?
Place a smart dimension for the length of the line. What color is the dimension?
Click on the text of the dimension. Do you get the key-in dialog to change the value of the dimension?
Edit the value in the key-in field and press enter. Does the length of the dimension and the line change?
I am trying to get an understanding for what you are seeing and where it is going wrong.

Regards,
Rick B.

Rick,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go through your outlined process this evening when I get home from work and post the results.

Ed

Well this is embarrassing but I did not have maintain relationships turned on. The strange thing is that I always start my drawings with a template I created called MyNormal.dft which is located in the More sub-folder of the Template folder. When I loaded that template to check to see if the maintain relationships is turned on it is turned on so shouldn't any drawing I start using MyNormal template also have maintain relationships turned on by default?

Anyway, at least I can get driving dimensions now.

Ed

Ed,
Maintain Relationships is a user preference, not a file preference. What that means is that is is not file specific. Once the user enables/disables the option it stays as specified across all files.

Regards,
Rick B.

Thanks Rick. That explains it.

Ed