Engineering calculation tools

N/A
Hi, we're a small group of people who publish a free online hobby magazine (cnc, model making etc.) (http://www.koalacnc.com) and are trying to write a small tutorial section for it on this great CAD product. We are trying to create a simple 2-pulley system with a belt over them to show the perimeter and goal-seek functions (without the complexity of the included demo). We've created the appropriate layers, created two pulleys, created the belt layer, created the area etc. etc. - all of that works as shown in the tutorial. When it comes to adding the "BELT LENGTH=" part, we select callout, go to "Property Text" and insert the '%' variable field. In Preview it shows up perfectly (i.e. "BELT LENGTH=603.086 etc.) but when we press "OK" and add it to the drawing it only shows up as "BELT LENGTH=" without the value.
We have the callout set as ANSI(mm), text scale 1.00, Angle 0.0 degrees, Callout-leader deselected (as suggested in the tutorial) and we have followed everything pretty much to the letter - all to no avail. We've tried turning all the layers visible, all layers invisible except for the "area" layer, the "belt" layer; nothing seems to resolve this issue.
Any ideas?
4 REPLIES

Re: Engineering calculation tools

N/A
Can you send the draft file to me?
I'll take a look at what you have.
Send it directly to my email.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
I am looking into this.
I am able to reproduce the problem.
I'll provide more information when I have it.
I noticed that in the callout it changes the name of the variable to V0 when
you click OK.
This is causing the failure.
In the mean time, you can use a balloon to display the value.
Copy the correct text from the callout UI and paste into the Upper text
field of the balloon.
Set the balloon shape to None.
Place the balloon.
You will see the value.
Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Thanks Ricky, the balloon alternative works fine. We'll use that for now.

N/A
Encountered the same problem doing the "Using Engineering Calculation Tools in Solid Edge" tutorial; perimeter variable value displayed in callout preview window but value would not appear on the face of the drawing - variable resolved to "%{V0|V}".