Entering negative values for Move command

When setting up a Move, I enter a negative value for X and/or Y. Then, upon pressing Enter, the value is changed to a positive number: i. e., the negative sign disappears. If I execute the command, the move is indeed in the positive direction. Very frustrating. However, sometimes the entry boxes will accept a negative number and execute a move in the negative direction, but I have not been able to isolate the conditions that cause this anomaly. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES

Re: Entering negative values for Move command

The X and Y values in the move command are distances. Depending on where the cursor is relative to the From point, an X only move can go to the left or right of the From point at the distance specified.

Regards,
Rick B.

Ricky,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, as this seemed to work fine in the previous release. Right now, I see no way to use the Move command to re-position a feature to the left or down on the model.

Also, I'm seeing a similar issue with coordinate dimensioning, where the origin lies between measurement points: i. e., dimensions are both positive and negative values. For example, if by necessity I am dimensioning two holes on opposite sides of a reference feature by the same absolute distance, the dimensions will both show as positive numbers, indicating to the reader that the holes are in the same place (on that axis, at least), in contradiction to the depiction on the drawing. Worse yet, if the displacement is small, the error will not be obvious, resulting in a mis-made part. This feels like a bug to me.

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with specifying a negative coordinate dimension if the occasion calls for it to insure minimal tolerance stackup. And, if I need to move a feature on a drawing in a negative direction relative to the drawing's coordinate system, there appears to be no way to do it. So what's up with ST4's seeming aversion to negative numbers?

Again, a move in the X direction will allow the object to be moved either direction in X at the distance specified. The distance is an absolute distance, not a signed distance. The cursor position relative to the from point will determine which direction to move the selected geometry.

Draw a vertical line.
Start the move command and put a value in X and then Tab to accept the keyed in value.
Click on the line.
The prompt will be "Click for the point to move from.'.
Click on one of the endpoints of the line to set the from point.
Move the cursor to the left of this point and the line will move left.
Move the cursor to the right of this point and the line will move right.

If you specify a Y value you can move up and down.
If you do not specify X or Y, the object will drag with the cursor.

Regards,
Rick B.

Again, a move in the X direction will allow the object to be moved either direction in X at the distance specified. The distance is an absolute distance, not a signed distance. The cursor position relative to the from point will determine which direction to move the selected geometry.

Draw a vertical line.
Start the move command and put a value in X and then Tab to accept the keyed in value.
Click on the line.
The prompt will be "Click for the point to move from.'.
Click on one of the endpoints of the line to set the from point.
Move the cursor to the left of this point and the line will move left.
Move the cursor to the right of this point and the line will move right.

If you specify a Y value you can move up and down.
If you do not specify X or Y, the object will drag with the cursor.

Regards,
Rick B.

OK, I tried what you suggest and I see how it works now. The same technique applies to the Stretch function as well. However, my concern with improper handling of negative values for coordinate dimensioning still stands. I'll re-post that on a new thread for discussion. Thanks for your help!