Export table from SolidEdge Draft file to Excel

Hello SolidEdge users & experts,

Due to complicated design & system, our team normally prefers to create a custom table for BOM, rather than extracting the BOM automatically. This custom table for BOM is manually feed with data (just like we do in AutoCAD or other 2D CAD) & then we have to again feed the same data in our ERP system. Our ERP system has BOM import facility from Excel, so I wish to export our custom table (BOM) to Excel, is their any way ?

I have tried saving the drawing in DWG / DXF formats, so that I can do it from AutoCAD, but the table is exported as block. Would be glad if someone could help.

6 REPLIES

Re: Export table from SolidEdge Draft file to Excel

If it is a table you can just double click the table
select everything with shift and the cells you want to copy
paste into excel
(tested in ST9)

Thanks Kaak,

Currently we are doing the same thing, we copy & paste it in Excel, but I wanted to try to completely automate the process through macro or any external means, such that when my drawing is open in SolidEdge, I have to click on a button that runs a macro, which will first ask for the table to be exported to Excel, the location & file name (to save as Excel file) or default the name as the sheet name (or drawing file name + sheet name) and location of the draft file, and an option which allows to select if I wish to just export to Excel, or even do the next step of importing it to our ERP system. (because we don't want it to create a new project in the ERP for the revised drawings)

Right-clicking on the table and selecting Copy Contents from the menu is quicker.

However, if your company wants, I can write a macro to export the table directly to Excel with prompts to save files, etc. as you described.

Write to info@cadvertex.com with requirements for a quote.

~Tushar

Thanks Tushar for the offer, but this is an experiment I am doing on my own & my company wouldn't be interested in paying for it. I believe it is a piece of code or API or Macro which I need to find out and I believe it might be free, possibly the SolidEdge team or our SolidEdge vendor could help.

Hi there @Poorvesh,

Which version & build of Solid Edge are you using?.....reason I ask, is the API is not made accessable in some builds, such as Student Edition & Free2D.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Good point @SeanCresswell

I was aware but did not realize this.

@Poorvesh

If you are experimenting and need help with writing a macro, pls let me know.

I'd be glad to help. Lots of code is lying with me for table reading/writing and Excel reading/Writing.

Just need to combine them in the right way to meet your requirements.

~Tushar Suradkar

Solid Edge Users Facebook Group