Reply

Fit command

For no apparent reason, in the 2d model view, when I select "Fit," I'm presented with a much larger field than that which contains the objects I have drawn. I'm looking at "all layers." I have selected all objects (none, so far as I can see) which lie outside the boundaries of visible objects, and hit "Delete." Why would this be?
5 REPLIES

Re: Fit command

Is the file you are working with an AutoCAD file?
There is an issue with the differences between AutoCAD and Solid Edge and
the use of blocks.
I can explain once I confirm that this is the issue.
Rick B.

"john@eagerstreet.com"

wrote in message
news:johneagerstreet.com.4sauvn@noreply.bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com...
>
> For no apparent reason, in the 2d model view, when I select "Fit," I'm
> presented with a much larger field than that which contains the objects
> I have drawn. I'm looking at "all layers." I have selected all objects
> (none, so far as I can see) which lie outside the boundaries of visible
> objects, and hit "Delete." Why would this be?
>
>
> --
> john@eagerstreet.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> john@eagerstreet.com's Profile:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=324599
> View this thread:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45276
>


Re: Fit command

Ricky, it is a .dft file, but there's a possibility that near the very beginning, I converted to a .dxf to export to a friend, then having lost the original, converted it back to .dft, where most of my work has been done. I have no blocks in this project and find none in the library.
John

Re: Fit command

John,
There has to be some geometry which is some distance from the main geometry
you are working on.
Fit your display again.
Then use CTRL+A to select everything.
Look in the area in the opposing corner to where your geometry fits.
There most likely will be something that is being included in the fit.
If you cannot find anything, send the file to me an I will take a look.
regards,
Rick B.
"john@eagerstreet.com"

wrote in message
news:johneagerstreet.com.4seprn@noreply.bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com...
>
> Ricky, it is a .dft file, but there's a possibility that near the very
> beginning, I converted to a .dxf to export to a friend, then having lost
> the original, converted it back to .dft, where most of my work has been
> done. I have no blocks in this project and find none in the library.
>
> John
>
>
> --
> john@eagerstreet.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> john@eagerstreet.com's Profile:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=324599
> View this thread:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45276
>


Re: Fit command

Ricky, I can't figure out how to send you that file. DWG files are not listed as valid types, and so my file is rejected. Hoping that you'll show me how to do this, I include below the remarks I drafted to go with the file:

I have tried every whichway to find and/or delete objects outside my visible drawing to no avail. Another problem I'm having is that dozens of attempts to establish constraints/relationships have failed with a conflict message. For example, the dashed circle on the left will not agree to becoming tangent with the closest arc to its right (outside the weekday dial, near the label, "FRI"). Almost all constraints I try to apply in this drawing now fail, and that is a problem that has appeared about three-quarters of the way into the project.

John

Re: Fit command

John,
So it is originally a DWG file. Correct?
You can email the file directly to me.
Attach the file to an email and send it to me.
If the problem is what I think it is, it has to do with the way AutoCAD and
Solid Edge deal with block origins.
AutoCAD ignores the block origin in range (size) calculation.
Solid Edge includes the block origin as part of the range of the block.
AutoCAD puts the block origin at 0,0.
Solid Edge allows you to define the origin relative to the geometry.
When you open the DWG file with blocks, we currently leave block origins
where they are.
If you have a block that is a long distance from 0,0 in theDWG file, that
origin will remain at 0,0.
The problem is that when you fit, the geometry and the origin (0,0) are
included in the range of the geometry.
So it looks like the display goes away, where it is actually so far zoomed
out it is just a dot on the display.
You most likely can see if close to one of the corners if you look closely.
There is an import option to import AutoCAD blocks as groups. This will
eliminate the origin problem.
When you click on the DWG file to open, click on the Options button at the
bottom of the Open File dialog.
Click on Next at the bottom of the translation Wizard.
Check Import Blocks as Groups.
Click Finish.
It will require for you to give the translation options file a unique name.
We are making changes in ST4 to move the block origin when opening AutoCAD
files.
The origin will be placed close to the geometry of the block.
Regards,
Rick B.
"john@eagerstreet.com"

wrote in message
news:johneagerstreet.com.4shsvn@noreply.bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com...
>
> Ricky, I can't figure out how to send you that file. DWG files are not
> listed as valid types, and so my file is rejected. Hoping that you'll
> show me how to do this, I include below the remarks I drafted to go with
> the file:
>
> I have tried every whichway to find and/or delete objects outside my
> visible drawing to no avail. Another problem I'm having is that dozens
> of attempts to establish constraints/relationships have failed with a
> conflict message. For example, the dashed circle on the left will not
> agree to becoming tangent with the closest arc to its right (outside the
> weekday dial, near the label, "FRI"). Almost all constraints I try to
> apply in this drawing now fail, and that is a problem that has appeared
> about three-quarters of the way into the project.
>
> John
>
>
> --
> john@eagerstreet.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> john@eagerstreet.com's Profile:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=324599
> View this thread:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45276
>