GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - HOW TO?

N/A

I've suceeded in creating a block and seeing it's thumbnail within the Edgebar Library
in the current file where it was created. However, I can't seem to get the knack
of "To make this block available outside the active document, drag and drop the
block from the drawing into the EdgeBar Block Library File List, then rename it
appropriately". I created a folder within my SE drawing documents called Blocks
and tried to drag the new block fr the drawing into this folder. Nothing happens.
I see the icon like it's transfering an envelope/file but it doesn't seem to go
anywhere.
Is this an area of Help that needs expanding? I've only been able to find the topic
covered in a single paragraph titled: "Making blocks available globally" under the
Block Command description.
Thanks,
Ron

Ronald W Latour
25 REPLIES

Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - HOW TO?

N/A
When a block is drug to the Library tab, a file called "Symbol1.dft" is
created. Inside this file will be your block. It will also still resides
in the current file.
--
Ken
http://grundey.blogspot.com
"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message
news:48d2d216$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> I've suceeded in creating a block and seeing it's thumbnail within the
> Edgebar Library
> in the current file where it was created. However, I can't seem to get
> the knack
> of "To make this block available outside the active document, drag and
> drop the
> block from the drawing into the EdgeBar Block Library File List, then
> rename it
> appropriately". I created a folder within my SE drawing documents called
> Blocks
> and tried to drag the new block fr the drawing into this folder. Nothing
> happens.
> I see the icon like it's transfering an envelope/file but it doesn't seem
> to go
> anywhere.
>
> Is this an area of Help that needs expanding? I've only been able to find
> the topic
> covered in a single paragraph titled: "Making blocks available globally"
> under the
> Block Command description.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
>
>
>
> Ronald W Latour


Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - HOW TO?

N/A

Ken, I searched for Symbol1.dft file in both My Documents and in Programs/Solid Edge
and nothing comes up. Here's what I'm doing:
In the Model Sheet, I've created a block and it's name shows up in the 3rd window
below the Edge Bar Icons/Tabs. It also shows up as an image in the 4th/last window.

In the 2nd window down, I've opened My Documents/Solid Edge/etc. The etc. stands
for a folder I call Blocks & Symbols. I've listed this folder in the Tools/Options/File
Locations/Symbol Templates.
I select the block that is in the Model and drag with the left mouse button to the
2nd window down. That's the only window that will permit the drag/drop action showing
an envelop with a "+" sign. Dragging to any where else in the Edge Bar results
in a "not permited" symbol (i.e., circle/line).
But nothing happens or shows up in the folders that I have in view nor in any of
the Programs/SE folders.
What am I missing?
Ron

"PellaKen" wrote:
>When a block is drug to the Library tab, a file called "Symbol1.dft" is
>created. Inside this file will be your block. It will also still resides
>
>in the current file.
>
>--
>Ken
>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>
>"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message
>news:48d2d216$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>
>> I've suceeded in creating a block and seeing it's thumbnail within the
>> Edgebar Library
>> in the current file where it was created. However, I can't seem to get

>
>> the knack
>> of "To make this block available outside the active document, drag and
>> drop the
>> block from the drawing into the EdgeBar Block Library File List, then
>> rename it
>> appropriately". I created a folder within my SE drawing documents called

>
>> Blocks
>> and tried to drag the new block fr the drawing into this folder. Nothing

>
>> happens.
>> I see the icon like it's transfering an envelope/file but it doesn't seem

>
>> to go
>> anywhere.
>>
>> Is this an area of Help that needs expanding? I've only been able to find

>
>> the topic
>> covered in a single paragraph titled: "Making blocks available globally"

>
>> under the
>> Block Command description.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ron
>>
>>
>>
>> Ronald W Latour

>
>
Ronald W Latour

Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - HOW TO?

N/A
Follow along in the following video. I know the interface looks different (new version of Solid Edge), but the Library pane and the workflow is the same as V20.
http://screencast.com/t/q6WK0WP35

--
Ken
http://grundey.blogspot.com

"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message news:48d52a95$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> Ken, I searched for Symbol1.dft file in both My Documents and in Programs/Solid Edge
> and nothing comes up. Here's what I'm doing:
>
> In the Model Sheet, I've created a block and it's name shows up in the 3rd window
> below the Edge Bar Icons/Tabs. It also shows up as an image in the 4th/last window.
>
>
> In the 2nd window down, I've opened My Documents/Solid Edge/etc. The etc. stands
> for a folder I call Blocks & Symbols. I've listed this folder in the Tools/Options/File
> Locations/Symbol Templates.
>
> I select the block that is in the Model and drag with the left mouse button to the
> 2nd window down. That's the only window that will permit the drag/drop action showing
> an envelop with a "+" sign. Dragging to any where else in the Edge Bar results
> in a "not permited" symbol (i.e., circle/line).
>
> But nothing happens or shows up in the folders that I have in view nor in any of
> the Programs/SE folders.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Ron
>
>
> "PellaKen" wrote:
>>When a block is drug to the Library tab, a file called "Symbol1.dft" is
>>created. Inside this file will be your block. It will also still resides
>>
>>in the current file.
>>
>>--
>>Ken
>>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>>
>>"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message
>>news:48d2d216$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>>
>>> I've suceeded in creating a block and seeing it's thumbnail within the
>>> Edgebar Library
>>> in the current file where it was created. However, I can't seem to get

>>
>>> the knack
>>> of "To make this block available outside the active document, drag and
>>> drop the
>>> block from the drawing into the EdgeBar Block Library File List, then
>>> rename it
>>> appropriately". I created a folder within my SE drawing documents called

>>
>>> Blocks
>>> and tried to drag the new block fr the drawing into this folder. Nothing

>>
>>> happens.
>>> I see the icon like it's transfering an envelope/file but it doesn't seem

>>
>>> to go
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> Is this an area of Help that needs expanding? I've only been able to find

>>
>>> the topic
>>> covered in a single paragraph titled: "Making blocks available globally"

>>
>>> under the
>>> Block Command description.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ron
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Ronald W Latour

>>
>>
>
> Ronald W Latour

Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - STUMPED!?

N/A

Ken, I'm really starting to feel stupid when even a picture don't help. Nothing
in the video was any different than what I am doing. I even took a cutting plane
file that I downloaded from another user problem (by Ricky Black I think) and tried
to select, drag and drop into My Documents/Solid Edge/Images that was displayed
in the Block Library File List.
There is some little thing that I'm not doing that's critical to the process -
just like my problem I was having with trying the Move and Stretch commands while
I had Snap to Grid enabled and expecting the input x/y values to take precedence
over the Snap Grid settings.
Is there a certain kind of folder that's suppose to be displayed in the BLFL? I
made a new one called Images because that's what your video used. As I stated below,
when I drag the block to the BLFL pane, I get the proper Windows file transfer symbol
and even get the folder to highlight after I release the mouse button. But nothing
shows up like it did in the video.
Ron

"PellaKen" wrote:
>
>
>Follow along in the following video. I know the interface looks =
>different (new version of Solid Edge), but the Library pane and the =
>workflow is the same as V20.
>http://screencast.com/t/q6WK0WP35
>
>
>--=20
>Ken
>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>=20
>"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message =
>news:48d52a95$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>=20
>> Ken, I searched for Symbol1.dft file in both My Documents and in =

>Programs/Solid Edge
>> and nothing comes up. Here's what I'm doing:
>>=20
>> In the Model Sheet, I've created a block and it's name shows up in the =

>3rd window
>> below the Edge Bar Icons/Tabs. It also shows up as an image in the =

>4th/last window.
>>=20
>>=20
>> In the 2nd window down, I've opened My Documents/Solid Edge/etc. The =

>etc. stands
>> for a folder I call Blocks & Symbols. I've listed this folder in the =

>Tools/Options/File
>> Locations/Symbol Templates.
>>=20
>> I select the block that is in the Model and drag with the left mouse =

>button to the
>> 2nd window down. That's the only window that will permit the =

>drag/drop action showing
>> an envelop with a "+" sign. Dragging to any where else in the Edge =

>Bar results
>> in a "not permited" symbol (i.e., circle/line). =20
>>=20
>> But nothing happens or shows up in the folders that I have in view nor =

>in any of
>> the Programs/SE folders. =20
>>=20
>> What am I missing?
>>=20
>> Ron
>>=20
>>=20
>> "PellaKen" wrote:
>>>When a block is drug to the Library tab, a file called "Symbol1.dft" =

>is=20
>>>created. Inside this file will be your block. It will also still =

>resides
>>>
>>>in the current file.
>>>
>>>--=20
>>>Ken
>>>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>>>
>>>"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message=20
>>>news:48d2d216$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>>>
>>>> I've suceeded in creating a block and seeing it's thumbnail within =

>the=20
>>>> Edgebar Library
>>>> in the current file where it was created. However, I can't seem to =

>get
>>>
>>>> the knack
>>>> of "To make this block available outside the active document, drag =

>and=20
>>>> drop the
>>>> block from the drawing into the EdgeBar Block Library File List, =

>then=20
>>>> rename it
>>>> appropriately". I created a folder within my SE drawing documents =

>called
>>>
>>>> Blocks
>>>> and tried to drag the new block fr the drawing into this folder. =

>Nothing
>>>
>>>> happens.
>>>> I see the icon like it's transfering an envelope/file but it doesn't =

>seem
>>>
>>>> to go
>>>> anywhere.
>>>>
>>>> Is this an area of Help that needs expanding? I've only been able =

>to find
>>>
>>>> the topic
>>>> covered in a single paragraph titled: "Making blocks available =

>globally"
>>>
>>>> under the
>>>> Block Command description.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Ron
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Ronald W Latour=20
>>>
>>>

>>=20
>> Ronald W Latour
>
>
>
><meta http-equiv="3DContent-Type" content="3D"text/html;" />>charset=3Dwindows-1252">
><meta content="3D"MSHTML" 6.00.6000.16705="" />
>
>
>
>
Follow along in the following =
>video.  I know=20
>the interface looks different (new version of Solid Edge), but the =
>Library pane=20
>and the workflow is the same as V20.

>
>
 

>
>>
> Ken, =
>I searched for=20
>Symbol1.dft file in both My Documents and in Programs/Solid Edge
> =
>and=20
>nothing comes up.  Here's what I'm doing:
>
> In the =
>Model=20
>Sheet, I've created a block and it's name shows up in the 3rd =
>window
>=20
>below the Edge Bar Icons/Tabs.  It also shows up as an image in the =
>
>4th/last window.
>
>
> In the 2nd window down, I've =
>opened=20
>My Documents/Solid Edge/etc.  The etc. stands
> for a folder =
>I call=20
>Blocks & Symbols. I've listed this folder in the =
>Tools/Options/File
>=20
>Locations/Symbol Templates.
>
> I select the block that is =
>in the=20
>Model and drag with the left mouse button to the
> 2nd window =
>down. =20
>That's the only window that will permit the drag/drop action =
>showing
> an=20
>envelop with a "+" sign.  Dragging to any where else in the Edge =
>Bar=20
>results
> in a "not permited" symbol (i.e., circle/line).  =
>
>=20
>
> But nothing happens or shows up in the folders that I have in =
>view nor=20
>in any of
> the Programs/SE folders. 
>
> What =
>am I=20
>missing?
>
> Ron
>
>
> "PellaKen" =
><
>href=3D"mailto:kgrundey@iowatelecom.net">>size=3D2>kgrundey@iowatelecom.net>size=3D2>>=20
>wrote:
>>When a block is drug to the Library tab, a file called =
>
>"Symbol1.dft" is
>>created.  Inside this file will be =
>your=20
>block.  It will also still resides
>>
>>in the =
>current=20
>file.
>>
>>--=20
>
>>Ken
>>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>>
>=
>;>"Ronald=20
>W Latour" <
>face=3DArial=20
>size=3D2>ronlatour@cox.net
> =
>wrote in message=20
>
>>news:48d2d216$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>>
>&g=
>t;>=20
>I've suceeded in creating a block and seeing it's thumbnail within the=20
>
>>> Edgebar Library
>>> in the current file =
>where it=20
>was created.  However, I can't seem to =
>get
>>
>>> the=20
>knack
>>> of "To make this block available outside the =
>active=20
>document, drag and
>>> drop the
>>> block from =
>the=20
>drawing into the EdgeBar Block Library File List, then
>>> =
>rename=20
>it
>>> appropriately".  I created a folder within my SE =
>drawing=20
>documents called
>>
>>> Blocks
>>> and =
>tried to=20
>drag the new block fr the drawing into this folder. =20
>Nothing
>>
>>> happens.
>>> I see the =
>icon like=20
>it's transfering an envelope/file but it doesn't=20
>seem
>>
>>> to go
>>>=20
>anywhere.
>>>
>>> Is this an area of Help that =
>needs=20
>expanding?  I've only been able to find
>>
>>> =
>the=20
>topic
>>> covered in a single paragraph titled: "Making =
>blocks=20
>available globally"
>>
>>> under =
>the
>>> Block=20
>Command description.
>>>
>>> =
>Thanks,
>>>=20
>Ron
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> =
>Ronald W=20
>Latour
>>
>>
>
> Ronald W=20
>Latour

>
>
Ronald W Latour

Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - STUMPED!?

N/A
Ron,
You state that you are trying to drag and drop the block into the second
window in Edge Bar. What is the first window? Is it a combo box that has the
current file path? I am doing what you describe and am having no problem
creating the symbol file. The file names will be Symbol#.dft, where the '#'
is a sequential number each time you create a new file. You can rename the
file afterward.
When you have the file path set in edge bar, what is displayed in the window
that shows the files? It should list any files and/or folders that are in
the current file path.
When you drag and drop the graphic block into this folder, is the graphic
block removed from the current open file?
Is there a way you can create a video of your workflow?
Regards,
Rick B.

Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - STUMPED!?

N/A
Out of curiosity. Try RMB clicking in your EdgeBar as shown in the attached
image. Choose File Types and see if .dft files is checked or unchecked.
David

"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message
news:48d6b24f$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> Ken, I'm really starting to feel stupid when even a picture don't help.
> Nothing
> in the video was any different than what I am doing. I even took a
> cutting plane
> file that I downloaded from another user problem (by Ricky Black I think)
> and tried
> to select, drag and drop into My Documents/Solid Edge/Images that was
> displayed
> in the Block Library File List.
>
> There is some little thing that I'm not doing that's critical to the
> process -
> just like my problem I was having with trying the Move and Stretch
> commands while
> I had Snap to Grid enabled and expecting the input x/y values to take
> precedence
> over the Snap Grid settings.
>
> Is there a certain kind of folder that's suppose to be displayed in the
> BLFL? I
> made a new one called Images because that's what your video used. As I
> stated below,
> when I drag the block to the BLFL pane, I get the proper Windows file
> transfer symbol
> and even get the folder to highlight after I release the mouse button. But
> nothing
> shows up like it did in the video.
>
> Ron
>
>
> "PellaKen" wrote:
>>
>>
>>Follow along in the following video. I know the interface looks =
>>different (new version of Solid Edge), but the Library pane and the =
>>workflow is the same as V20.
>>http://screencast.com/t/q6WK0WP35
>>
>>
>>--=20
>>Ken
>>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>>=20
>>"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message =
>>news:48d52a95$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>>=20
>>> Ken, I searched for Symbol1.dft file in both My Documents and in =

>>Programs/Solid Edge
>>> and nothing comes up. Here's what I'm doing:
>>>=20
>>> In the Model Sheet, I've created a block and it's name shows up in the =

>>3rd window
>>> below the Edge Bar Icons/Tabs. It also shows up as an image in the =

>>4th/last window.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> In the 2nd window down, I've opened My Documents/Solid Edge/etc. The =

>>etc. stands
>>> for a folder I call Blocks & Symbols. I've listed this folder in the =

>>Tools/Options/File
>>> Locations/Symbol Templates.
>>>=20
>>> I select the block that is in the Model and drag with the left mouse =

>>button to the
>>> 2nd window down. That's the only window that will permit the =

>>drag/drop action showing
>>> an envelop with a "+" sign. Dragging to any where else in the Edge =

>>Bar results
>>> in a "not permited" symbol (i.e., circle/line). =20
>>>=20
>>> But nothing happens or shows up in the folders that I have in view nor =

>>in any of
>>> the Programs/SE folders. =20
>>>=20
>>> What am I missing?
>>>=20
>>> Ron
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> "PellaKen" wrote:
>>>>When a block is drug to the Library tab, a file called "Symbol1.dft" =

>>is=20
>>>>created. Inside this file will be your block. It will also still =

>>resides
>>>>
>>>>in the current file.
>>>>
>>>>--=20
>>>>Ken
>>>>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>>>>
>>>>"Ronald W Latour" wrote in message=20
>>>>news:48d2d216$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>>>>
>>>>> I've suceeded in creating a block and seeing it's thumbnail within =

>>the=20
>>>>> Edgebar Library
>>>>> in the current file where it was created. However, I can't seem to =

>>get
>>>>
>>>>> the knack
>>>>> of "To make this block available outside the active document, drag =

>>and=20
>>>>> drop the
>>>>> block from the drawing into the EdgeBar Block Library File List, =

>>then=20
>>>>> rename it
>>>>> appropriately". I created a folder within my SE drawing documents =

>>called
>>>>
>>>>> Blocks
>>>>> and tried to drag the new block fr the drawing into this folder. =

>>Nothing
>>>>
>>>>> happens.
>>>>> I see the icon like it's transfering an envelope/file but it doesn't =

>>seem
>>>>
>>>>> to go
>>>>> anywhere.
>>>>>
>>>>> Is this an area of Help that needs expanding? I've only been able =

>>to find
>>>>
>>>>> the topic
>>>>> covered in a single paragraph titled: "Making blocks available =

>>globally"
>>>>
>>>>> under the
>>>>> Block Command description.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Ron
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Ronald W Latour=20
>>>>
>>>>
>>>=20
>>> Ronald W Latour

>>
>>
>>
>><meta http-equiv="3DContent-Type" content="3D"text/html;" />>>charset=3Dwindows-1252">
>><meta content="3D"MSHTML" 6.00.6000.16705="" />
>>
>>
>>
>>
Follow along in the following =
>>video. I know=20
>>the interface looks different (new version of Solid Edge), but the =
>>Library pane=20
>>and the workflow is the same as V20.

>>
>>

>>
>>>
> Ken, =
>>I searched for=20
>>Symbol1.dft file in both My Documents and in Programs/Solid Edge
> =
>>and=20
>>nothing comes up. Here's what I'm doing:
>
> In the =
>>Model=20
>>Sheet, I've created a block and it's name shows up in the 3rd =
>>window
>=20
>>below the Edge Bar Icons/Tabs. It also shows up as an image in the =
>>
>>4th/last window.
>
>
> In the 2nd window down, I've =
>>opened=20
>>My Documents/Solid Edge/etc. The etc. stands
> for a folder =
>>I call=20
>>Blocks & Symbols. I've listed this folder in the =
>>Tools/Options/File
>=20
>>Locations/Symbol Templates.
>
> I select the block that is =
>>in the=20
>>Model and drag with the left mouse button to the
> 2nd window =
>>down. =20
>>That's the only window that will permit the drag/drop action =
>>showing
> an=20
>>envelop with a "+" sign. Dragging to any where else in the Edge =
>>Bar=20
>>results
> in a "not permited" symbol (i.e., circle/line). =
>>
>=20
>>
> But nothing happens or shows up in the folders that I have in =
>>view nor=20
>>in any of
> the Programs/SE folders.
>
> What =
>>am I=20
>>missing?
>
> Ron
>
>
> "PellaKen" =
>><
>>href=3D"mailto:kgrundey@iowatelecom.net">>>size=3D2>kgrundey@iowatelecom.net>>size=3D2>>=20
>>wrote:
>>When a block is drug to the Library tab, a file called =
>>
>>"Symbol1.dft" is
>>created. Inside this file will be =
>>your=20
>>block. It will also still resides
>>
>>in the =
>>current=20
>>file.
>>
>>--=20
>>
>>Ken
>>http://grundey.blogspot.com
>>
>=
>>;>"Ronald=20
>>W Latour" <
>>face=3DArial=20
>>size=3D2>ronlatour@cox.net
> =
>>wrote in message=20
>>
>>news:48d2d216$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>>>
>&g=
>>t;>=20
>>I've suceeded in creating a block and seeing it's thumbnail within the=20
>>
>>> Edgebar Library
>>> in the current file =
>>where it=20
>>was created. However, I can't seem to =
>>get
>>
>>> the=20
>>knack
>>> of "To make this block available outside the =
>>active=20
>>document, drag and
>>> drop the
>>> block from =
>>the=20
>>drawing into the EdgeBar Block Library File List, then
>>> =
>>rename=20
>>it
>>> appropriately". I created a folder within my SE =
>>drawing=20
>>documents called
>>
>>> Blocks
>>> and =
>>tried to=20
>>drag the new block fr the drawing into this folder. =20
>>Nothing
>>
>>> happens.
>>> I see the =
>>icon like=20
>>it's transfering an envelope/file but it doesn't=20
>>seem
>>
>>> to go
>>>=20
>>anywhere.
>>>
>>> Is this an area of Help that =
>>needs=20
>>expanding? I've only been able to find
>>
>>> =
>>the=20
>>topic
>>> covered in a single paragraph titled: "Making =
>>blocks=20
>>available globally"
>>
>>> under =
>>the
>>> Block=20
>>Command description.
>>>
>>> =
>>Thanks,
>>>=20
>>Ron
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> =
>>Ronald W=20
>>Latour
>>
>>
>
> Ronald W=20
>>Latour

>>
>>
>
> Ronald W Latour


Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - FOR RICKY B & DAVID R

N/A

Ricky, here's the answers to your question below:
1. In describing the panes, I should've used the proper terms as described in Help
under the subject: Block Display in the Library Tab. The first window that I mentioned
is the one that displays the current file path. It's the Block Library File List
(BLFL) that is the 2nd window and that's where I'm looking for the Symbol#.dft.
2. When I have the file path set in edge bar, if I set the file path as MY DOCUMENTS/SOLID
EDGE/DRAWINGS, than the files shown are a few *.dft files that I have made. I have
other folders in the above path besides DRAWINGS that I made called TEMPLATES for
one template file and for BLOCKS & SYMBOLS with nothing in it. I can see the all
of the folders/files that I have made for SE.
3. When I drag and drop the graphic block into any of the above folders, the current
graphic block still shows in the drawing and in the Block Selection Pane.
4. I know of no way to make a video of my workflow. I'm a retired engineer doing
woodworking design at home. But the Edge Bar and all of the above described panes
look like what I see in the video you sent me as well as what I see in Help.
To keep the communication on this topic in one place, I'm going to answer David's
R's question posted as 1587 in this note. When I right mouse click in the BLFL pane,
the context menu looks just like the example that David attached to his email.
But when I select File Types, nothing happens. Was I suppose to see something happen?
Note above that I have no trouble seeing the *.dft files that I made.
Ron

"Ricky Black" wrote:
>Ron,
>You state that you are trying to drag and drop the block into the second
>window in Edge Bar. What is the first window? Is it a combo box that has the
>
>current file path? I am doing what you describe and am having no problem
>creating the symbol file. The file names will be Symbol#.dft, where the '#'
>
>is a sequential number each time you create a new file. You can rename the
>
>file afterward.
>
>When you have the file path set in edge bar, what is displayed in the window
>
>that shows the files? It should list any files and/or folders that are in
>
>the current file path.
>
>When you drag and drop the graphic block into this folder, is the graphic
>
>block removed from the current open file?
>
>Is there a way you can create a video of your workflow?
>
>Regards,
>Rick B.
>
>

Ronald W Latour

Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - FOR RICKY B & DAVID R

N/A
Ron,
Drag and drop of a graphic block object will only drop into the window in
Edge Bar that contains the file path. It creates a new file, Symbol#.dft,
each time in the current file path. Each file created will contain a single
block. You cannot drag and drop a block into the window that allows the
selection of blocks to drag and drop into the graphic window. This window
only allows selection of existing blocks to drag and drop into the graphic
window. You also cannot drag and drop a block onto an existing file in the
file path window. It will again simply create a new file.
You have two choices for organizing your blocks. You can either have a
separate file for each block or you can have draft files (block libraries)
that contain multiple blocks. If you have a block that you want to add to a
draft file that contains existing blocks, use copy/paste. Locate and copy
the block. Open the draft file to which you want the block added. Paste the
block in the graphic window. You will see the block listed in the Active
Document in the block window in Edge Bar. Then you can delete the graphic
copy. The block will still be listed in the Active Document in Edge Bar.
When you click on any draft file in the file path window, all blocks in the
file selected will display in the block window below. You will see the file
name of the file selected. It can be expanded to display all the blocks in
that file. Any of these blocks may be draged and droped into the graphic
window of the open file.
Regards,
Rick B.

Re: GLOBALLY AVAILABLE BLOCKS - FOR RICKY B & DAVID R

N/A

Ricky, for clarity there are 4 windows in the EB when the Block tab is selected i.e.,
1. The single line window that contains the file path = no name given in Help.
2. The folders/files contained in that file path which is named the BLFL.
3. The Block names in the active document = Block Selection Pane.
4. An image of the selected block = Block Preview Pane.
I'm draging and dropping into the 2nd window, i.e., BLFL. Anywhere else I attempt
to drop yields a circle/slash = not permitted.
Now the window that you refer to below as the one containing the file path is what
I called 1 above but I bet you mean the BLFL pane. If so, than we just have a difference
in terminology because there is no name in Help for what I referred to as 1. If
so, I think that I'm doing what you tell to do because if I try anyother place,
I get no go sign. I only get the envelop with + sign in the BLFL pane.
I should point out that I can open a new file B tiled with the original file A that
has the blocks and sucessfully drag a block from A to B. Copying and pasting also
works. So if we can't solve this problem, I'll do the former and live with it.
I'll just have to have a bunch more stand alone files that I have to open when
I want to use one of the blocks.
What I'm making into blocks are router bits. I can group the bits into difference
categories making a file for each category to act as my block source.
It still would be niece to get this working the way it should.
Thanks,
Ron
Ron

"Ricky Black" wrote:
>Ron,
>Drag and drop of a graphic block object will only drop into the window in
>
>Edge Bar that contains the file path. It creates a new file, Symbol#.dft,
>
>each time in the current file path. Each file created will contain a single
>
>block. You cannot drag and drop a block into the window that allows the
>selection of blocks to drag and drop into the graphic window. This window
>
>only allows selection of existing blocks to drag and drop into the graphic
>
>window. You also cannot drag and drop a block onto an existing file in the
>
>file path window. It will again simply create a new file.
>
>You have two choices for organizing your blocks. You can either have a
>separate file for each block or you can have draft files (block libraries)
>
>that contain multiple blocks. If you have a block that you want to add to
>a
>draft file that contains existing blocks, use copy/paste. Locate and copy
>
>the block. Open the draft file to which you want the block added. Paste the
>
>block in the graphic window. You will see the block listed in the Active
>Document in the block window in Edge Bar. Then you can delete the graphic
>
>copy. The block will still be listed in the Active Document in Edge Bar.
>
>When you click on any draft file in the file path window, all blocks in the
>
>file selected will display in the block window below. You will see the file
>
>name of the file selected. It can be expanded to display all the blocks in
>
>that file. Any of these blocks may be draged and droped into the graphic
>window of the open file.
>
>Regards,
>Rick B.
>
>

Ronald W Latour