Geometry locked but still moving

Hi,

i've a symetric geometry wich features a symetric diameter wich varies over a wide range. I'd like to display only a small part through the viewport. I've put the lock on that part wich should be displayed. After changing the diameter the detail has moved out of the viewport. It looks like there's a hidden lock at the center line. How can i pin the interesting part?

Background:
That's a detail of a concrete pipe joint. The inner diameter ranges from 300 to 3000 mm. I put the lock at the edge of male's end/inner diameter. The whole detail fits on a DIN A4 sheet (max. scale 1:2)

Thank you!

Best regards,
Robert Goldbach
2 REPLIES

Re: Geometry locked but still moving

[ Edited ]
Hi Robert,

Due to the complexity of your drawing, I cannot figure out exactly why you are having problems getting this idea to work. I created a very simple example. The biggest difference is that I only drew the half that I want to see. Since you are using or implying symmetry, you can eliminate half the work. Draw just the side you want to see. And I am not sure why you are blocking the geometry. It works much smoother if you simply use the geometric constraints and drop the "block" workflow.

Anyway, I have placed a line of symmetry and then drawn a rectangle to represent the corss section of the left side of my part. I placed a Lock at the lower lefthand corner of the rectangle and then placed Symmetric Diameter dimensions from the centerline to the inside and outside edges of the rectangle. I used the "Half" mode for the dimensions and then dragged the dimension text closer to the part. The Symmetric Diameter Dimension has a "Full/Half" toggle that lets you display the entire dimension or just one half of it. Then I created a 2D Model View of the part (excluding the centerline) and placed it on the working sheet. When I go to the 2D Model sheet and make edits to the dimensions, the centerline moves and the inside diamter line moves, but the outside diameter line stays in position. So the drawing view always shows the geometry I want to see.

You have a good idea here and it should work. I would have to spend half a day looking at your file, though, before I understood enough of the constraint logic to see why it is not working for you.

Hope this helps.

Re: Geometry locked but still moving

The biggest difference is that I only drew the half that I want to see. Since you are using or implying symmetry, you can eliminate half the work. Draw just the side you want to see.

I've drawn the full geometry because the input are mostly diameters, but that's no problem, can be solved by using formulas.

And I am not sure why you are blocking the geometry. It works much smoother if you simply use the geometric constraints and drop the "block" workflow.

I have though so, too, but the reality was different.
But yesterday i've learned that the viewing border can be contrained. The lock should become obsolete.

That would simplify the drawing.

Thank you

Best regards,
Robert Goldbach