Handling drawing formats - ?

N/A
Hola -

I'm a new user here. We are almost 100% 3D but still have a couple of 2D users. For better or worse, our legacy CAD system (Anvil) won't run on Win7 so I have been looking for a low-cost alternative for these users. I like Solid Edge 2D and have been getting familiar with it.

I read the help and I'm a little bit unsure of which way to go regarding our drawing formats. I have our old Anvil files, with ANSI A-E formats, title blocks, etc. What's the best way to incorporate this into Solid Edge? As Background sheets? Bringing them in as DWG isn't an issue, I just don't want to start on the wrong foot here. Obviously, we are not going to be talking about 100's of drawings here, these are what you would call 'casual users', so i don't want to get too elaborate in my implementation. I'd like to have our standard company title block and have the user be able to edit a text field in each one with the usual info - date, by, part name, etc.

Any and all guidance appreciated!

TIA
9 REPLIES

Re: Handling drawing formats - ?

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Are you using Solid Edge for your 3D work?
Are you wanting to convert your old Anvil files to SE 2D? Or are you wanting to use SE 2D to create new files as you move forward?
I will assume you want to use SE to move forward. You can take advantage of your old drawing borders by importing them into SE 2D. Then you can create background sheets as needed and copy the imported border geometry onto these background sheets. You can name them as required. WHen you create a working sheet you specify which background sheet to use. This will set the size of the working sheet accordingly.
As for the title block information. There is specific information (author, date, etc.) that are file properties. You can create callouts on the background sheets to automate the extraction of these properties which will display properly when that background is used by a working sheet. Look at our existing templates. the backgrounds already have callouts in the title blocks for this. The part name is not something that we set up by default. This is because there is no way for us to know each users workflow. You can leave this out of the title block on the background and manually insert it on the working sheet. You can also create a custom property in the template from which the value can be extracted. It will be the users responsibility to put the value in the custom property.

I know that this is a lot of information to comprehend, but if you have more questions, please ask.

Regards,
Rick B.

N/A
Thanks for the response -
First - I am going to convert my existing Anvil files to DWG so that I can at least access them in SE 2D. Any new drawings we create (2D) will be in SE 2D; our CAD system now is Pro/E.
Second - I guess what's confusing me is that when I did the 2D tutorial, it did not respond as I expected it would. When in the View tab, I have Background/Working/2D buttons. I guess I expect something like Photoshop - but if I only highlight 2D I see nothing - where is the 2D geometry and why isn't it isolated? When I highlight Working I see the whole drawing, 2D and format. When I highlight just Background, I see just the format without the 2D entities. I don't get it, and it makes me wonder just where in the tutorial the drawing format lies. In Working? Or in Background?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Don't know the tutorials but basically the Background sheets are for border/titleblocks. You would have one for each type/size of border you may have (A,B,C,D, or Mechanical, Electrical, Pneumatics, etc...)
The 2D Model sheet is for 1:1 scale 2D geometry IF you use the 2D Drawing View which is placed on the Working Sheet OR you place a scaled border around it (see Drawing Area Setup under the application button when in a 2D Model sheet).
The Working sheet is idea for scaled views either created by hand or from the 2D Model sheet using the 2D Model command on the Sketch toolbar, or for schematics which do not have scale.
If you want to parallel the documentation process used for 3D Solid Edge models, then you would:
- Create your geometry on the 2D Model sheet (front, right, iso, etc...)
- Place any controlling and/or refrence dimensions on the AutoHide layer
- Switch to the Working sheet
- Select the 2D Model command (when selected, shows view of 2D Model sheet, you select what you want in that view)
- Select the 2D geometry you want shown on the Working sheet. You can select all views if they are aligned and you don't need to adjust the spacing or individual views and you can align them after they are placed.
- Align views if individual using the Align command (right mouse click on a view)
- Use Retrieve Dimensions to bring in the dimensions and annotation placed on the 2D Model sheet (that was on the AutoHide layer)
- You can use the Detail View command to create details if needed (only by using the process I've just outlined...)

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

N/A
I guess that is where I am failing to understand the logic.... why have a 2D view if I can just draw in the Working view? Is it so I can scale the view in Working view, e.g. to have a 2:1 or 5:1 drawing? Why would I NOT use the 2D view if I am exclusively creating 2D drawings....
As an aside - do I put all my different formats (A,B,C, etc) into the template so that the user just chooses or make a different template for each? I guess I could go either way but what is the most effective?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
If you draw in the Working sheet, you will need to manually scale your geometry. The Working sheets are not made to scale (meaning the paper size is always 1:1). The 2D Model sheet is meant to be drawn on 1:1 and then you either place a border and scale it up or down to fit or use the 2D Model view command to place scaled views on the Working sheet.
You can put all your formats in one template. You will pick one as the default for the first Working sheet as well as specify the default when new pages are added. You can change them from the default using the Sheet Setup command (under application button or by right mouse click on tab).

Thanks,
Ken

N/A
So it appears that the best practice would be to always create the 2D geometry in the 2D view so that you can change the drawing scale when desired....

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Using the 2D Model sheet is what I would suggest. And use the 2D Model view command in the Working sheet to place the scaled views and align them, then Retrieve dimensions/annotation placed in the 2D sheet...

Thanks,
Ken

N/A
Okay, I gotta admit I'm completely buffaloed here. Using Working view and Background to make drawings I can grasp. I made a template with 5 different Backgrounds, A-E. I can draw in Working view and choose the background. Need to put some Blocks in there to fill in the title block, but that's just busy work.
2D Model I just don't understand at all. Drawing Area Setup - Working Area and Scale factor don't seem to do anything. And selecting a "block" to specify the drawing border? Why does it have to be an external file? Didn't I give it a size? When I select one of my own drawing formats, I see it in the 2D Model view - do I want it there really? It doesn't make sense and the help is no help.....

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
So there are two ways to use the 2D Model sheet and both include drawing your geometry at full scale. After the geometry is created...
1. You use the 2D Model command located on the Sketch tab of the ribbon in the Drawing Views section with the Working Sheet active. This switches you automatically to the 2D Model Sheet so you can select geometry to create a scaled drawing view on the Working Sheet. This is similar to current AutoCAD workflow using ViewPorts.
2. You use the Drawing Area Setup command to set a drawing border scale and place a drawing border as a block in the 2D Model Sheet surrounding your geometry. You do not use the Working or Background Sheets with this workflow. This is very similar to the very old school AutoCAD workflow before ViewPorts existed.
Now while you can certainly draw directly on the Working Sheet, the big negative is that it is set up for scaled geometry which means you must scale your geometry while drawing it meaning that if you want a 1:4 scale and your drawing a line that is supposed to be 12" long, you will need to only draw it 3" long to get the 1:4 scaled geometry.

Thanks,
Ken