How to get it working and how long will it work?

Hi,

I've never used any sort of CAD program and wanted to try something free. I downloaded what I thought was a free program Solid Edge, ST6 because I use 32 bit Windows XT. I got an email message and in it it says:

"You are receiving this email because you registered for software.
It contains important details necessary for activation and/or support of your software."

But afaik it doesn't contain any sort of activation information. I downloaded the program and installed it on my computer at work, but when I tried to try it out it says it needs an activation key the first time it opens. Can anyone tell me how to get one if that's possible? Can I install and use a free version on my computer at home and at work? I saw a link about a forum for a 45 day trial period or something, so will this program become inactive at the end of some trial period? I didn't see anything about that when I downloaded it. 

Thank you for any help with this!

David

9 REPLIES

Re: How to get it working and how long will it work?

[ Edited ]

Hi there @nopeda,

Umm.....that link is to Student Edition, so not directly related.

That is, assuming you are actually trying to install Solid Edge Free2D, as this forum is suited to.

Did you sign up at this site...and get the subsequent download?

NOTE: it is ONLY going to be relavant to the "latest" version available to download, currently ST8. [64bit only]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I might as well forget about Solid Edge too then. I tried installing the 32 bit version I've got on my home computer and it cancelled the install because I'm using Windows XP which is not "supported". I only wasted a couple of days on this one though. I wasted a week or more trying to try out DraftSight, and a couple days trying to try Nanocad. I guess I should give up on trying to try out any CAD program, since there either aren't any that will work with Windows XP, or they're so hard to find that I can't find one.

[ Edited ]

@nopeda,

Well then that is probably the reality for you, if, you try to run anything on an OS that no longer supported by Microsoft, let alone other software vendors.

There are plenty of low cost Windows10 machines available that will run Solid Edge just fine, for light duty.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

I'm always way behind at best. If it were up to me I'd still be using Windows 98. But if people felt that way in general and could get away with that it would be billions of less dollars for Windows. I believe that at some time in the history of man there were CAD programs that worked with Windows XT, though maybe I'm wrong. If not the question for me is why they don't exist any more. The answer, even though we're discussing "free" programs, must have something to do with money from my pov. 

nopeda wrote:

The answer, even though we're discussing "free" programs, must have something to do with money from my pov. 

I don't think you're alone in the sentiment......but really, the whole thing, is a business, and even in days before computers, companies & individuals alike, were doing their thing, for $ome $ort of return.

I came from a drafting board & pencil era, started using AutoCAD briefly, then found Solid Edge at v7 - Origin [a "free" version] on a Windows 98 machine at home, then the company bought into it, after I showed what I was able to do.....after 16 years, I changed my job, but stuck with Solid Edge, introducing it to this company, over 10 years ago.

I don't think I'd rate my chances at keeping up on an older version, nor being able to produce the quality, of what I can now, with using the latest offerings from my favourite 3D CAD software, Solid Edge, and a lot of it leveraged [yes, maybe sometimes limited] by Windows 10 capabilites, and lets not forget hardware has played a big factor along the way, also.

This thread leaves me with a couple of questions.....

1. Why settle for using an outdated design software?
  2. Why choose to stick with an outdated operating system?
  3. What are you likely to learn from doing this, even if you find something that runs?
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

[quote]This thread leaves me with a couple of questions.....

1. Why settle for using an outdated design software?
2. Why choose to stick with an outdated operating system?
3. What are you likely to learn from doing this, even if you find something that runs?

[/quote]

The reason for using the outdated design software is in the hopes of getting it free if possible. 

The reason for sticking with an outdated operating system is that I have it and can get around on it rather than having to get something new I might very well not like as much, and have to spend more time learning to use it than actually using it. A similar example being that a few weeks I tried downloading my first free CAD program thinking that in a little while I'd be learning the basics of how to use a CAD program, and hopefully in a few days I'd be using it to do things. Now, a few weeks later I STILL haven't be able to download anything that works, much less have I done anything with it. I could very easily go through a similar experience with an operating system, and lose much of or everything I have now in the process. If I did not it would only because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to prevent it from happening, and of course would have to figure it out correctly or it wouldn't work.

If I had found something that runs because it WAS AVAILABLE instead of not being available, I'd know at least something about how CAD programs work and I would have done some things with it, even if only sample things. What started me on this, other than having wanted to draw up some simple things I've built in the past like a wall for making a closet, was that at work they wanted a drawing of a building I work in so they can make some sort of safety evacuation thing. After wasting a couple of weeks trying to get a simple CAD program to learn to do it with, I spent about 3 hours of time doing it with a pen and a scale. Of course I'd still rather have had the CAD thing work out, but now at least we've got something inestead of nothing at all.

I got something! DreamPlan home design software. Downloaded and installed in 5 minutes, as opposed to downloaded for several minutes and then wouldn't install at all. Seems to work fine with XP. As simple as I'm sure it is it's way beyond what I'm able to do with it, and it can no doubt do what I wanted to do with the other programs that wouldn't install. At least it's a starting point instead of nothing at all. :-)

Just to put the reason 32 bit XP is no longer supported by Solid Edge in perspective...

Windows XP is almost 15 years old (released Oct 2001) and mainstream support ended in 2009 and extended support ended in 2014... This is why newer versions of Solid Edge no longer support it.

64 bit hardware has been the norm for almost as long, and mainstream 64 bit OS support and usage in the engineering realm has been the norm for the past few years especially when running professional CAx applications such as Solid Edge as they often require more memory than can be supplied by a 32 bit OS (recommended 8GB RAM minimum), which is why the 3 most recent versions (ST7, ST8, ST9) are no longer offered in a 32 bit version.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10