How to set scale for sheet?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I decided to draw up some projects I've been thinking about.  I'm new to CAD, but somewhat remember drafting (ENGR classes 30 years ago...all paper, no computer).

I'm using 2D Drafting ST8.  I need to scale the sheet for large parts I've drawn up on the "2D Model" tab.  I can see the page settings and can change the scale, but when I bring an image over from the worksheet, the items stay at 1:1.  I've even tried to just draw on the sheet, skipping over the 1:1 for initial part drawing.  However, the sheet stays at 1:1.  I know it is staying at 1:1 because dimensioning does not reflect a scale change.

The help I have been able to find doesn't match the options or toolbar I am looking at in this version.  I'd rather not draw it to scale with actual dimensions and then have to include a table with a measurement cheat-sheet for scaling.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

4 REPLIES

Re: How to set scale for sheet?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @hm103,

You are almost there......yes, always draw your geometry at full size [1:1] on the "2D Model Sheet", then when you have a new "Working Sheet" click the 2D Model button to create a view of your profile as a window selection. You can adjust the scale until the selection window fits the sheet [can adjust this retrospectively also] then click to place....all your dimensions are based off of the actual model, so will read true size. [there is a dimension text scale also, which can be set according to the size of geometry vs. sheet size used]

Hope that helps.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi @hm103,

I would also suggest to put all your dimensions in "2D Model sheet" to a separate layer from 2D model geometry.

Then you can easily hide dimensions in 2D Model and it gives you more flexibility when you do dimesioning in the scaled working sheet.

Michal Mikulášek
PLM Systems Sales Representative @ HSIcom

Using CAD since May 2014

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Good point @mikulasek,

It is good practice [for 2D drafting in particular] to have the construction dimensions remain in some key elements, if not all, for explicit control & adjustment, but when placing scale views, these will get scrambled.......so place them on the "Auto Hide" layer.....you can multi select them all afterwards too.

Attached is an example [ST8] file using this......see the Working Sheet display, compared to the 2D Model sheet. [I have also deleted the background sheets I don't want to use]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi Sean,

I didn´t know you can use the "Auto - Hide" layer for that.

I hided the layer manualy.

Great tip.

Thanks

Michal Mikulášek
PLM Systems Sales Representative @ HSIcom

Using CAD since May 2014