cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I ask advice from experienced users. It makes sense to move from AutoCAD

Experimenter
Experimenter

How effective will work in Solid Edge when creating 2D drawings (see attachment). Do they have to be from 20 to 40 units per month. I tried to learn through the help of the software, but too much time is spent on what to do to understand the principle of the Solid Edge. Tell me a link to a video where the entire process of creating complex drawings will be shown (not the two squares and

1 REPLY

Re: I ask advice from experienced users. It makes sense to move from AutoCAD

The philosophy behind SE and AutoCAD is very different.  From what I have seen of things, the "real" items in SE are the dimensions and relationships, and the lines are visual representations of that reality.  This can make it remarkably easy to change things after they've been drawn, because changing the size of an item is as simple as clicking on the dimension and typing in the new value.  Setting things up that way can take some extra time, but once it's set up it's pretty easy to make changes to things.

AutoCAD seems to have the lines as "real", with dimensions being artifacts of that reality.  Changes can be much more difficult to make, because no change will self-propagate based on the relationships you've set up between the different parts of your drawing.

I've not used AutoCAD much at all, so maybe I'm missing something, but I'd much rather do things in SE even if I'm not going to use a 3D model at any point.  I don't have a video I can link you to, but I've found the workflow to be remarkably intuitive.  Just make sure you take the time to look up the different relationships and what they do...getting them right is a huge advantage later in the design process when people start changing things on you, but getting them wrong produces a lot of frustration.  Also, make sure to customize your radial menu...the radial menu is one of the greatest inventions ever, and it saves me a lot of time when I'm doing things.