I lose dimensions when blocking/unblocking

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have a flat pattern that I keep in the 2D model space.  The overall patter stays the same, and I want to make sure nothing changes in it so I block it.  Now there are several small variations of the pattern, so I make a "sheet 1" dimension all the relevent features, make details of them if necessary and everything is awesome.  Now for the 2nd variation, I make a copy of the base block in the 2D model space, paste it in, and then unblock it.  I add the small change and then block it with a different block name. 

The problem is, whenever I do this, I lose all the dimensions that I have done on the Sheet 1.  Is there any way around this?  My goal is to keep all the variations of one pattern in a single file, but stored on seperate sheets.

1 REPLY

Re: I lose dimensions when blocking/unblocking

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @JFrost,

Each working sheet view, is independently linked to the relevant 2D model. A new model [even a copy] efectively is new geometry, so doesn't automatically carry the dimensions over.

My NZ$0.02 on it.... I would think a better procedure, would be to make the copy for archiving, then update the original, then all the dimensions & annotations will stay relevant, as long as the same geometry still exists to connect to.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10