cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it unpossible to create views with different scales in Solid Edge 2D Free?

N/A
I thougth I was good at 2D drafting, using IDEAS for many years but I feel like a newbie trying to understand background, working view and 2D model view.
Drawing view wisard is greyed out. It is not in my downloaded product.

How shall I do to get big parts inside a drawing format?
I need views with different scales in my drawing.

I have only succeded to draw in scale 1:1
When printing I use "fit to paper" to get my scetch into the printed paper.

Regards
5 REPLIES

Re: Is it unpossible to create views with different scales in Solid Edge 2D Free?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
The Drawing View Wizard is for 3D models which you cannot use and do not have in Free 2D.
There are 2 workflows for working with scaled geometry, both involve using the 2D Model sheet where you will draw your views 1:1.
From there it departs:
Option 1 - Use the Drawing Area Setup under the application button while the 2D Model Sheet is active and select the correct scale, template block and sheet size. This will scale the sheet size and border to fit your geometry if for instance you needed a "D" size sheet scaled 4X to fit the geometry you have drawn.
Option 2 - Switch to the Working Sheets and select the command 2D Model in the Sketching ribbon. It will switch back to the 2D Model sheet where you will select the 2D views, either 1 at a time or all together, both have positives and negatives. You will then have the oppurtunity to scale the view represented by a rectangle on the working sheet.
If you select all the views on the 2D Model sheet, you will not be able to independently move the views on the Working Sheet to "pretty" it up.
If you select each view independently, then you must "align" them to keep them lined up with each other and to lock a consistent scale (right click on view and select Create Alignment). This gives you a lot of flexibility to change the scale, adjust spread distance and use the Detail View command.
In both cases, anything you dimension in the 2D Model sheet will come accross and will be scaled and cannot be adjusted, so it is best to place all dimensions and annotations in the 2D Model sheet on the Auto - Hide layer. This will hide the dimensions when you place the 2D Model views on the Working sheet. You can then place new dims on the Working sheet which will auto scale to the view scale or you can use the Rerieve Dimensions command to pull what was on the Auto - Hide layer. This will actually create new dimensions that are associative to the 2D Model sheet dimensions, but you can now adjust them to make them look "pretty".
Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Re: Is it unpossible to create views with different scales in Solid Edge 2D Free?

N/A
The Drawing View Wizard is for 3D models which you cannot use and do not have in Free 2D.
There are 2 workflows for working with scaled geometry, both involve using the 2D Model sheet where you will draw your views 1:1.
From there it departs:
Option 1 - Use the Drawing Area Setup under the application button while the 2D Model Sheet is active and select the correct scale, template block and sheet size. This will scale the sheet size and border to fit your geometry if for instance you needed a "D" size sheet scaled 4X to fit the geometry you have drawn.
Option 2 - Switch to the Working Sheets and select the command 2D Model in the Sketching ribbon. It will switch back to the 2D Model sheet where you will select the 2D views, either 1 at a time or all together, both have positives and negatives. You will then have the oppurtunity to scale the view represented by a rectangle on the working sheet.
If you select all the views on the 2D Model sheet, you will not be able to independently move the views on the Working Sheet to "pretty" it up.
If you select each view independently, then you must "align" them to keep them lined up with each other and to lock a consistent scale (right click on view and select Create Alignment). This gives you a lot of flexibility to change the scale, adjust spread distance and use the Detail View command.
In both cases, anything you dimension in the 2D Model sheet will come accross and will be scaled and cannot be adjusted, so it is best to place all dimensions and annotations in the 2D Model sheet on the Auto - Hide layer. This will hide the dimensions when you place the 2D Model views on the Working sheet. You can then place new dims on the Working sheet which will auto scale to the view scale or you can use the Rerieve Dimensions command to pull what was on the Auto - Hide layer. This will actually create new dimensions that are associative to the 2D Model sheet dimensions, but you can now adjust them to make them look "pretty".
Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks for your rapid answer. I have tried to follow your instructions.
My first problem was that there were no blocks to use when I used the drawing set up command in 2D model.
OK I created two blocks for A4 and A3 and saved them.
I could then get a block into my drawing when setting drawing area set up.
As soon as I tried to draw big things in the blocks they protruded outside the block when bigger than the drawing size. Scale did not help here.
In short I have not yet succeded to get big parts inside my drawing.
I will go on trying but I am a little lost now.
Regards

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Here is a video. Notice that the first time I do this, the Block scale matches the sheet scale I specified. When I redid it, I had to change the Block scale to match my new sheet scale.
http://screencast.com/t/WPUksZYL

Thanks,
Ken

N/A
Thanks Ken for your support.
Surprised and grateful for such a respons.
Now I got the hang of it. You draw in scale 1:1 in 2D model. You scale the template to cover your design. My mind was stuck on resizing what I have drawn.
I also found that you can get your views to the working area by starting on the work sheet and find the 2D command under "Table" which made it possible to create views on the working sheet from the 2D model.
Reading your first post now, I understand what you wrote.
Thanks again

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Glad I was able to help.

Thanks,
Ken