Issue opening DXF

When I first installed the Free2D program, if I opened a DXF file it was fine - the 'new' dialog box opened, with it's prompt for sheet etc., and I could proceed.

Subsequently having edited one of the files, and saved it both as a SolidEdge file as well as a DXF for use elsewhere, when the 'new' dialog box opens it shows nothing. Whichever of the tabs I select, the list of items shown is blank, and the button to proceed is greyed out - so that's the end of the road.

I thought something might have been corrupted, so I uninstalled the program (including all the folders etc that need to be removed manually), and on reinstalling, everything worked fine - that is until I edited and saved another DXF file! So now it doesn't work again.

The files behave perfectly fine in my other 2D program.(DoubleCAD XT)
I'm attaching a couple of them. (It won't let mne do this??):confused:

Windows Vista Home Premium, 64bit

Many thanks, Mike
17 REPLIES

Re: Issue opening DXF

Mike,
I am confused. When I open a DXF file, I use File-Open, not File-New.
Can you send an image of the dialog dox you are seeing?
Also, I do not see the examples. You can send to me directly if you want.
Regards,
Rick B.

[ Edited ]
Hi Ricky, that's what happens when I go 'open' and click on an existing DXF file.
This 'new' dialog box appears, and I can't get any further. I'm attaching a screenshot. I did try bto attach the dxf files, but the forum won't accept any in that format - looks like bitmaps are all it will handle - bit odd for a drafting forum, I would have thought....
How do I get them to you directly?
Cheers, Mike

Mike,
If you click on File-New you should see the same dialog.
Do you see anything in the 'New" dialog in this case?
Have you done any customization, such as file paths?
Rick B.

Hi Ricky - it's the same if I click 'file - new'. That's the same dialog box and it's just as empty!! And no, I haven't changed any paths or locations.
I have even been into the SolidEdge Options dialog, and made sure all the locations specified in there were reset to default (I presume that's correct?).

I does seem as if the program has either lost or swallowed something - however what concerns me is that I can deal with that once (and doing the uninstall/reinstall route), but this is now the second time...
Hope we can get to the bottom of this.
Cheers, Mike

Mike,
How much customization are you doing?
I ask this because I can give you a simple procedure to reset the UI without
uninstalling.
Regards,
Rick B.

None really. Apart from selecting inches as my measurement unit.
So I'd love too be able to reset simply. I was about to do the uninstall etc again!
Cheers, Mike

Mike,
How much customization are you doing?
I ask this because I can give you a simple procedure to reset the UI without
uninstalling.

Regards,
Rick B.

Mike,
Look at my response to a post titled "Wierd system behavior" on April 14.
In my response I explain what to do.
It is not difficult. Follow the directions carefully. A mistake can be
fatal.
Regards,
Rick B.

No go....
I did it, but still the same. Click on open an existing file, and the blank 'new' dialog box appears. Click on open a new file, same thing. The only way past that is from the opening welcome page, is to select 'create a 2D drawing' from the menu of options in the middle of the screen.

So I uninstalled yet again. Cleaned out the program folder. Deleted the registry entry. Reinstalled the program. And started it.

Selected open an existing file from the welcome screen - and guess what...the blank 'new' box again.

Any chance I have a faulty download? Perhaps I'll just try another...

Cheers, Mike

No go.
Downloaded a clean, fresh version - cleaned out the machine, installed it and Bingo! The same thing.

Driving me nuts - life's too short for this.....

Mike