License File cannot be found

Hi,

after installation of VC++ 2008 redistributable I was able to install SE 2D. The selicense.dat is in Program folder. But now I get the message: license file cannot be found. I also got the latest file from the web and copied it to the program folder.

Is it possible that the installation interferes with UGS NX which is also installed on the machine?

Thanks for every hint.

Dietmar
36 REPLIES

Re: License File cannot be found

I found with the process monitor that the file is found and read. But might there be a missing prerequisit to analyze the SELicense.dat?

Hi, the error goes away when I start SE in Win95 compatibility mode! ?????????????????

Do you have the .net 3.5 and .net 4.x installed? A lot of my problems went away after installing .net 3.5sp1 and re-installing the software. The software only warns you to install the latest .net (version 4.x) which doesn't get everything working.

Hi,

I installed 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0, 3.5 sp1 and installed all patches that are on the other machines. Now I have a couple of machines that work and the others don't. I cannot find a difference between them. But the change with the compatibility mode for Win95 works. For the moment I leave it that way.

Thanks
Dietmar

That's strange.

Re: License File cannot be found - MIRACLE FIX

I read _every_ license failure post in this forum (unforetunately I read this one last). I had been using FREE2D ST2 when suddenly it stopped working and brought up the license file error. From reading the posts dated in the last few weeks, it seems like this is a very common problem for users of XP. My computer has no bad environment variables, was not using remote desktop, etc. - basically none of Rick's suggestions applied. But this one did. YEAH. Switched to compatibility mode and poof--it starts working.

I'm not the smartest windows guru out there, but I think researching exactly how win95 compatibilty mode affects the program startup will help fix this error permanently. Given the rash of license failures like mine lately, I would suspect that a windows update is to blame for modifying some key factor of the license checking in XP.

Start looking there now as the same old fixes from the last months do not apply to users like me, and there are many.

Ricky mentioned a new download of the program but I can't tell if/when it changed over the version I had tried reinstalling 5 times.

Hey everybody - switch to win 95 compatibilty mode to cure your ills! Right-click on the program icon in the start menu and hit properties. Choose the compatibilty tab and then select windows 95 compatibilty mode.

Bonus feature: switching to win95 compatibilty allows you to run the program in remote desktop! Ricky?

Good luck and godspeed.

My computer is still XP 32 bit sp2 which may account for it working, so you might be right that there is an update that is killing things, especially if a lot of people are getting this within the last month or so.

All,
This problem can occur if you have ever changed your system date.
Our license checking detects this and reports it as a license failure.
Regards,
Rick B.

Re: License File cannot be found - MIRACLE FIX

/// Hey everybody - switch to win 95 compatibilty mode to cure your ills! ///

This did not work for me. I am in the second day of chasing this problem. I have done everything - including uninstalling all versions and updates and starting fresh with a clean download. Win 95 compatibility mode did nothing for me. I have a hard time understanding why relicensing is necessary in the first place. The message I get is as follows:

Solid Edge 2D Drafting could not find a valid license.

Solid Edge 2D Drafting is free. However, it does require periodic updates to the free license. Updating the free license does not require the software to be reinstalled.

New free versions of Solid Edge 2D Drafting will be made available as they are released.