Reply

Line with arrowheads


I am trying to manually create a medium-heavy segmented dashed line with an arrowhead
at each end. I am not a draftsman, but I think this is how we indicate the plane
for a cross-section view. I don't seem to be able to add an arrowhead to a line,
or to make a "leader" do this work satisfactorily, either, because a "leader" doesn't
have the drawing control features of a "line." Is it possible to do this in 2D?
John Hilgenberg
7 REPLIES

Re: Line with arrowheads

John,
What drawing standard do you use (ANSI, ISO, etc.)?
I can provide some block examples that may help you if I know how you want
them to look. Each standard has a different look.
The object you want is a cutting plane line for deriving a section view. In
Solid Edge there is a specific object for this which will automatically cut
the part and produce the section view from the drawing view the cutting
plane is placed on.
Regards,
Rick B.

Re: Line with arrowheads


Rick,
I am using a custom "style" which is a slight variant of ANSI. I'm using Solid
Edge 2D, which so far as I know has no automatic section view feature, but I am
trying to create manually a line which looks like one of those cross-section lines.
I think that should be a heavy dashed line across the plane with turned up ends
ending with arrowheads. Or something like that, not sure, as I am not an engineer.
Regards, John
--------------
"Ricky Black" wrote:
>John,
>What drawing standard do you use (ANSI, ISO, etc.)?
>I can provide some block examples that may help you if I know how you want
>
>them to look. Each standard has a different look.
>
>The object you want is a cutting plane line for deriving a section view. In
>
>Solid Edge there is a specific object for this which will automatically cut
>
>the part and produce the section view from the drawing view the cutting
>plane is placed on.
>
>Regards,
>Rick B.
>
>

John Hilgenberg

Re: Line with arrowheads

John,
IF you are using drawing views from a 2D model view you could use the Cutting Plane tool. It's designed to work with the 3D package but you can still place the cutting plane as shown below then edit it's properties as desired. The only catch is that you must have drawing views. A nice enhancement would be to change this tool in a way it could be used without selecting a drawing view first.
David

"John Hilgenberg" wrote in message news:48c15d9c$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> Rick,
>
> I am using a custom "style" which is a slight variant of ANSI. I'm using Solid
> Edge 2D, which so far as I know has no automatic section view feature, but I am
> trying to create manually a line which looks like one of those cross-section lines.
> I think that should be a heavy dashed line across the plane with turned up ends
> ending with arrowheads. Or something like that, not sure, as I am not an engineer.
>
> Regards, John
>
> --------------
>
> "Ricky Black" wrote:
>>John,
>>What drawing standard do you use (ANSI, ISO, etc.)?
>>I can provide some block examples that may help you if I know how you want
>>
>>them to look. Each standard has a different look.
>>
>>The object you want is a cutting plane line for deriving a section view. In
>>
>>Solid Edge there is a specific object for this which will automatically cut
>>
>>the part and produce the section view from the drawing view the cutting
>>plane is placed on.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Rick B.
>>
>>

>
> John Hilgenberg

Re: Line with arrowheads


David, what you are showing me is a different environment from the 2D model view
I have always used, with different tools on the left. From my 2D model, I have
looked for that cutting plane tool in the "customize toolbars" sets and cannot find
it. Can you tell me how to get into that drawing view environment? The help system
is opaque to me on that subject, probably too obvious to most people. The cutting
plane line you show is exactly what I want to be able to draw.
John

"David Rieschick" wrote:
>
>
>
>------=_NextPart_001_0154_01C90F6F.74257C50
>
>John,
>
>IF you are using drawing views from a 2D model view you could use the =
>Cutting Plane tool. It's designed to work with the 3D package but you =
>can still place the cutting plane as shown below then edit it's =
>properties as desired. The only catch is that you must have drawing =
>views. A nice enhancement would be to change this tool in a way it =
>could be used without selecting a drawing view first.
>
>David
>
>

John Hilgenberg

Re: Line with arrowheads

This tool would not be available on the 2D model view sheet because it is
part of the Drawing View command list. You would need to create Drawing
Views of your 2D Model geometry on a drawing sheet other than the 2D Model
sheet. While on the other sheet you would be able to see the command.
If you want a similar looking section line for you 2D Model sheet then I
would create one manually and save it to your symbol library. That way you
could easily drag it in and modify it's size as necessary.
David

"John Hilgenberg" wrote in message
news:48c2d5ce$1@bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> David, what you are showing me is a different environment from the 2D
> model view
> I have always used, with different tools on the left. From my 2D model, I
> have
> looked for that cutting plane tool in the "customize toolbars" sets and
> cannot find
> it. Can you tell me how to get into that drawing view environment? The
> help system
> is opaque to me on that subject, probably too obvious to most people. The
> cutting
> plane line you show is exactly what I want to be able to draw.
>
> John
>
>
> "David Rieschick" wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>------=_NextPart_001_0154_01C90F6F.74257C50
>>
>>John,
>>
>>IF you are using drawing views from a 2D model view you could use the =
>>Cutting Plane tool. It's designed to work with the 3D package but you =
>>can still place the cutting plane as shown below then edit it's =
>>properties as desired. The only catch is that you must have drawing =
>>views. A nice enhancement would be to change this tool in a way it =
>>could be used without selecting a drawing view first.
>>
>>David
>>
>>

> John Hilgenberg

Re: Line with arrowheads

John,
Attached is an example of what you can do with blocks. Draw the cutting
plane geometry as lines with a thicker symbology and different line pattern.
Create a block for the arrowhead that has the geometry and caption label.
When you place the block it will prompt for the label. Connect the block to
the end of the cutting plane geometry. Place a perpendicular constraint so
that the block remains perpendicular to the cutting plane geometry if it is
moved.
Regards,
Rick B.


Re: Line with arrowheads


Thanks, David and Rick. Those ideas work just fine.
John
John Hilgenberg